Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel verses gas power?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Sparky87k5, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've located a 84 K30 diesel crewcab with a bad TH400. Thinking of building me another tow rig to replace my K5. Would like to build NV4500/205 drivetrain and power it with BB 454, 496 or 502. Never had a diesel but am attracted to fuel mileage but only if they have the power to tow. Looking at suggestions from those that know. What would you build if you could? 6.2? 6.5? Possible Cummins conversion? Tow about 5-8k lbs. of trailer.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

2. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I fairly new to diesels, too, but I do know the 6.2 was not made for power. The 6.5t was factory turbo'd but had some gremlins. If it were me, I'd think a properly taken care of 6.2 with a turbo should be plenty. If you have the money, you can probably go ahead and get the 6.5t, but then you'd have the myriad of electronic controls to mess with.

3. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

You can get pleanty of power from 6.2s Go check out here<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.thedieselpage.com>http://www.thedieselpage.com</A> Lots of good info over there check it out! Too become a member is a $20 charge but it's well worth it! There is still lots off stuff too look at in the non members area too!

[​IMG]Inline 6's are cool[​IMG]

4. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

I like my 6.2 diesel but if ya could do it id put in the cummings 5.9L inline 6 turbo diesel, that engine has so much power, more than my 6.2, but thats allright, the mileage is good on both, my Dad has the 5.9 and gets 17-18 mpg and my 6.2 gets 17-19(after i lifted it, was getting 21 before i lifted it) Unless ya put a Banks Turbo on the 6.2 then take that(if ya have the money) Turbos and diesel upgrades on www.truckpower.com