Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel vs. 454?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Hi, I am gearing my truck to be a trail only truck within a year or so. I am trying to plan ahead what I want to build it with. I want a good engine with a lot of power. I will pretty much be open to 4 wheelin with it through most anything, mud, rocks, etc. I have been planning on putting in a 454 for some time now, wanting try and match the power of my friends 78 bronco with a 460. But, I have recently had people try and tell me to get a 6.5 diesel.

Basically, I am wondering which would be better for all around 4 wheelin, and just power in general. A 454 or a 6.2 diesel? What are the benefits and drawbacks to each?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I would personally go with the 454 because it can rev higher in order to utilize a lower gear ratio. Screw the diesel torque because you can get your torque from 5.13:1 or so rear axle ratio. Plus you can accelerate faster through the broader RPM range. Just get some nice heads with the biggest valves you can get and youll be slingin rooster tails to your daddys house. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

6.2 advantage: Day of wheeling, Fuel gauge needle doesn't even move. How's 19 - 26 MPG sound.

A darker thought is the lack of explosion when the fuel tank is ruptured and there is an ignition source close by. I know this very very very rarely happens but it is a thought.

I will grant you there is a lack of high engine speed, so mudding might not be as fun. Basically you need to ask yourself what kinda wheelin you're going to be doing.

Also check out the Diesel forum.

Hope this helps.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I will pretty much be open to 4 wheelin with it through most anything, mud, rocks, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're into mud for the majority I'd recomend the 454, although the 6.2 and 6.5 both rev to 3600 rpm so you should get decent enough wheel speed even with the diesel.

Where the diesel shines is off camber and low rpm grunt. I have a SM 465 backing my 6.2 and the clutch would probably smoke before it would stall...

The fuel mileage is unreal, I easily get twice the mileage that I used to get with my 350, plus it doesn't flood out and stall.

I don't do a lot of mud, I sure don't go looking for it anyways. If it's part of the trail then so be it. The mud I have been in with the diesel has been no big deal, tach it up a little and let the TSL's do their thing. You don't need 100 MPH wheel speed for them to self clean, and K5's are way to heavy to skim the surface anyways.

Rene

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Diesels: waterproof w/ snorkel, mechanically injected, kick-ass MPG, broad torque curve, longevity...

BBC: cheaper, mucho HP, sh!tty MPG, sounds badass...

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

not sure if it was a typo or not but you said 6.2. I say if your going with a diesel you should use the 6.5L turbo diesel because there is no way the 6.2L is going to compare to the power of your friends 460. It is also much easier to get more power from the 6.5 than the 6.2. Even if you turboed the 6.2 it wouldn't produce quite as much power as a stock 6.5.
    I've been doing a ton of research on both engines and decided for my off-roading purposes the 6.5LTD is a much better choice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BigBurban350

Chics dig BIG BLOCKS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get a 5.9L cummins turbodiesel. 555 ft lbs bone-stock at your fingertips, at 1400 rpm and a 350,000 mile service life. YIKES. i dont even wanna think about the torque #s u can get with a banks kit....

j

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I second the 5.9 Cummins ISB motor...get a 12Valve if you want stupid reliable and a simple install...if you are okay with computer and such, spring for the 24-valve...My buddy has a 99 24-valve cummins, aftermarket turbo, super hot comp box, and injectors and, honest to god, the other night he put a "new" model (read: 333 horsepower) M3 to shame... that is only about $2000 worth of mods to make that thing SCREAM....Hell you can make a 24-valve make 300+ hp and 850+#'s of torque for around $1000

but I vote cummins diesel for an all around and stupid flat torque curve..454 for mud high-rev applications...

Chris

10. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run a 454 TBI in a K5, a 6.2 in a K30, and I have a 396 in a K1500 Sub that is getting converted to a 6.5TD. Which is better, which is better.......you know I don't think one is "better" than the other. Several posts have stated all the standard answers as far the pro's and con's. I think you also have to go with what YOU are interested in. Some people really "like" rat motors. Some people really "like" diesels. I really like both of them. You need to consider if you want to "learn" about diesels ( if you don't know them already). They have a whole different set of "things you really need to know about", like glow plugs and their control system, mechanical fuel injection systems, etc. The gas motors are very much more intuitve for most people and therefore a lot easier to diagnose and repair. Especially out in the boonies. I think everybody should have at least one of each /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey man if u want speed go with the 454, but the 6.5L is nice..i have a 6.5 in my 82 and its bad ass..not the quickest in the world but it goes anywhere with its mad torque and only have 3.42 gears and 33's its nice! does good in mud, but amazing up steep hills and it wont ever stall!! its ur decision...to bad u couldnt have both /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. BigBurban350

Okay, a turbo diesel is badass, BUT, a truck with a BIG BLOCK and a blower popping out of the hood is just insanly badass /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.