Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel vs gas

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by manyblazers, Dec 13, 2002.

1. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

I've owened four gas blazer/jimmys but never a diesel one. I was wondering what I'd be sacrificing/benefiting by going diesel? Is it fast enough to go on the highways at 70 to 80 mph for loooooong driving trips? Thanks for any info.

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

As with a gas engine it depends on your gearing, if you do a search this topic has been covered before. But in a short answer yes they can do it.

3. manyblazers

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been reading the posts on the gearing thing and I'm wondering if the 3.08 or 3.42 gearing is good for highway and city driving. I only tow a small 14 foot aluminum boat and a truck load of camping gear so nothing major. I do alot of long driving though and am getting tired of the 300 to 500 a month in gas bills. That's in Canadian dollars but still alot. Am I better of getting a fresh motor instead?

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Are you thinking of doing and engine swap, or buying a new blazer? For the cost of switching everything over it may not be cheaper in the long run, depending on the cost of the donor vehicle you can find. There have been some really nice worked over subs and blazers poping up lately that can be had for well under 10,000 dollars. a truck with 3.73's, 33" tires, and a 700r4 or 4l60 should allow you to pull down around 20+ mpg cruising on the highway(hypothetical using rpm, speed and the design parimeters of the 6.2 engine). Hope it helps.
    Cheers, rugger

5. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Manyblazers,

To give you an idea of the fuel milage.. I live in Montreal and have family that live in Angus Ontario ( about 1 hour past T.O.) I went to visit them last year and my 89 Jimmy 6.2L 700 R-4 has 3.08 gears (with stock size tires at the time). There were three adults and two kids plus all out gear for a week ) I made it there and back plus drove around a bit too while out there on 3/4 of a tank. Diesel rules!
    Mike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. manyblazers

Let me get this straight. You are saying you drove over 1200 km on 3/4 tank of diesel? That is incredible. Do you have enough get up and go to pass people on the highway? lets say I'm tooling along at 120 kph and I want to pass someone. Does the diesel with those gears have enough pep to get up to 130 - 140 kph to pass some erratic driver?

7. manyblazers

I was thinking of buying one. Done a few engine swaps but not a thing I have the time to do. What is the best year Blazer/Jimmy ever made in diesel? Thanks

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The best diesel year for the blazer was 1994, too bad they had gone to IFS then.
    It was the only year the blazer had a 6.5Turbo diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I would go with any post 85 and you would be fine.
    I think in 85 they finally ironed all the wrinkles in the design, especially with the glow plug controler and the in tank water problems.
    Diesel is the best, I get 30MPG around town and 20 on highway and off road. I have a manual tranny 465 3.08 gears and 35" tires.
    Can't beat that.

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Mine has Th700 and 33x12.50.It gets 16L/100km(I don,t know in MPG,sorry) combinating Wheeling and road use.In highway this consumption goes down.