Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel, which tranny/gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddybuddy, Aug 30, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i posted in garage, but not gettin the views or replies. ill try here b4 the diesel section :D

im planning on my next rig being a diesel k30. ive read alot of stuff about the pros and cons to various trannys and such on here, and i guess my gear question goes along with it. im assuming it comes with a th400, but i kinda like the idea of overdrive or maybe a 4spd, i dont know,what are my options? i need your help! also what about gears? i wanna run 35x14.50s. i have 35s on my current truck with od and was gonna swap in 5.13s on that. would 5.13s be too much for a diesel and 35s or would it just be bad a$$? i dont want this thing to be gutless both on the road and off. its going to be my dd, but im hoping that the diesel will help me out in mpgs. i dont really do any highway driving cept occasional 200mile trip couple times a year.

for 35s on a diesel which tranny and gear combo would you chose and why?

thanks,
    james

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

PM kennyw. He can tell you all kinds of stuff about diesel rigs.

3. muddybuddy

thanks shane, u never stop helpin me out :D . when i finally get this thing, ill be buyin my gears and lockers from you...again hahaha.

4. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

If you dont mind, can you post the information that you find about which tranny and gear to use? I'm interested in knowing what's out there for the diesels as well. Thanks.

5. muddybuddy

well for auto tranny looks like 4L80E, everyone says its pretty much indestructable, plus it has overdrive. for manual nv4500, but 5th gear is weak for towing in stock form. 4.56s are perfect for 35s, and would work up to 38-40s.