Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel won't start

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by KRUM, Mar 20, 2003.

1. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

Diesel won\'t start

my glow plugs arent working if the engine temp is 100 degrees or more and it wont start unless they are cycling
    any ideas? it won't even hit a lick unless the GP light comes on i have listened to the GP relay and its not cycling. any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    thanks,
    Jerry

2. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Re: Diesel won\'t start

If the relay is not cycling, it could be bad or the temp sensor is thinking it is hot enough and not kicking it on. I havent messed with my GP system yet but i can send you a schematic if you want.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my glow plugs arent working if the engine temp is 100 degrees or more and it wont start unless they are cycling
    any ideas? it won't even hit a lick unless the GP light comes on i have listened to the GP relay and its not cycling. any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    thanks,
    Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason some people put a switch and bypass the controler.
    Do a search and you will find the direction on how to rig one up, or you could change the controler.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

thanks guys but i may have just had a loose wire /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. but one thing thats bothering me is it would'nt hit a lick and it was like 75 here on the mountain but when i fully connected the loose wire it fired right up?
    thanks,
    Jerry

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks guys but i may have just had a loose wire /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. but one thing thats bothering me is it would'nt hit a lick and it was like 75 here on the mountain but when i fully connected the loose wire it fired right up?
    thanks,
    Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

When you have a loose wire, as soon as you have a high demand in current it will disconnect, the small area that is touching will act like a fuse and burn and no more contact.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

ok i was wrong about the "loose conection" but i did finally find the problem it was the little in-line temp switch for the gp system i bypassed it and it is working fine dont know why it even got one it works fine without it
    thanks,
    Jerry