Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel4me got a ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Oct 26, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

First thanks for all your help with the HEI unit. That wire that I run from the fuse panal to the coil....on my coil it has a spade adapter that says "Battery", is that where I run that wire too? Thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No---I think the "batt" fuse tap is hot all the time--the truck wont shut off if you hook it there!(and the HEI will have power to it 24/7--not good,it will kill the battery,and probably the module too.Use a test light to find another empty spot in the fuse box that only gets juice when the key is in the "run" posistion.Make sure its hot only in "Run"because many of the fuse curcuits are hot in the "accesory"position too--you dont want power going to the HEI when you are sitting parked,listening to the radio!.
    Hope this helps you out.If its too difficult to find a power source to the fuse box,you could run a heavy wire right to the battery(or the junction block right next to the brake booster,its closer) and use a toggle switch--it makes a good "kill" switch for anti-theft purposes--but if your not the only one driving the truck it could be confusing to someone who isnt familiar to it--you'd have to turn both the ignition key on and the toggle switch for it to run,and shut both off to stop it,and shut all the other accesories off.Simple is usually better!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I think there is a misunderstanding, I have run the wire from the fuse box. It is attached on the fuse box where it only has power in the "run"....like you said. Now the distributor has a 3 wires (red, black and brown) that have a connector on the end. I plugged them into the coil.

Also on the coil there are 2 male spade adapters, one that says "Tach" and the other says "battery".

That wire that I have already run from the fuse panel, does it plug into the coil where it says "battery"???

Thanks

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not familiar with MSD or other "hot rod" HEI's,only a stock setup--but yes,I would assume the one that says "Batt"would be the one you would hook to the fuse box for power when key is on--as for the "tach" wire,that hooked to a tachometer if you have one--if not leave it disconnected--but make sure it doesnt touch ground,or it will fry the module(at least it will on a stock HEI).I dont know about the black wire--might be a ground,but might not be too.
    Just to be sure we are on the same page--you are using an aftermarket distributor and coil,not a stock GM one right???. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif