Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dieseling problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pugsley, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The mighty 305 has developed an absolutely hideous dieseling problem - it only does it under part throttle at speed, and when you shut it down it goes for around 15-20 seconds. I've retimed it, everything else appears to be in order - it shouldn't be the gas, since it's been doing it for 3 fillups now (all premium from different places). My current theory is that it has something to do with a leak or crack somewhere in the 3 miles of vacuum line hanging all over the engine. Anyone know where else to look?

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i dont know if this helps but mine did that but it was only 5seconds
    i changed my oil and it stopped.
    i dont know how that helped, but it did

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My problem with dieseling wasn't as bad as yours sounds. I got rid of it by dumping a bottle of Lucas Oil Products Fuel system cleaner/ upper cylinder lubricant. I dumped that in with about 1/4 tank, and then dumped another few $ in on top of it, and it helped alot.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just a thought, my '83 dieseled terribly when I shut it off if the AC (or is it decel) throttle kicker was plugged in. It would open the primaries apparently enough when I shut the truck off, to keep it running. I tested it more than a few times, and while I didn't bother delving into it, with it disconnected, I had no problems (nor AC) so I never did track down WHY the kicker was working when the truck was shut off.

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Hope you get that fixed. I never figured out why my uncles' did the same thing. You would shut it off and be able to walk inside and get a drink of water before it stopped! Must of been upwards of 40 seconds! Never saw what it anounted to because he swapped the engine for a re-man 350.

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You're a genius!!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif - I unplugged it, and no more problem. I'm currently attempting to chase down the current source and see if I can't figure it out.