Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesels and mud

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Paxx, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

How well does the diesel work in the mud? I know they don't have the high RPM's of a gasser so does this limit you in any way? just curious.

2. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

It has limited me a few times.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I get a running start first. Plus I make sure there are a few other strong trucks around just in case I get stuck. But I wouldnt give up the low RPM's for all the TQ and power I can put down in 4L and 4.56 gears! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not a huge mud fan by any stretch...but the 6.2 will rev to 3600 rpm and has the balls to do it in a taller gear. In mud the only time my old 350 saw over 4000 rpm was about 3 seconds before I got stuck...then it would redline while I sank even further.

In the limited amount of mud I've been in I found a taller gear and about 2200 rpm or so works really well and gets me enough wheel speed to clean the tires. Really that's all the wheel speed I need...even a nitrous fed big block isn't gonna get my truck to skim the top of the mud.

I run TSL's and they self clean quite easily...

Rene

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

I haven't entered into any competitions, but for what it's worth, the only thing that's limited me in mud is tire size (deep ruts) and fear of my 'Burb swallowing water/mud through the stock air intake location behind the grill. As long as my tires could reach the ground, the diesel has pulled me (and many others) into and out of mud with ease.

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How well does the diesel work in the mud? I know they don't have the high RPM's of a gasser so does this limit you in any way? just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one thing to add here:
    I wish I had the 6.2 in my blazer but I have a perkins turbo diesel. It's a killer in the torque department (410lbs-ft) but only revs up to 1800RPM's and yet it does great in the mud so far, with 35" tires and 3.08 gears the torque turns the tires with higher gears.
    I even had the K5 in mud up to the door handles and it pulled still.
    I am still working on my 6.2 to put it in the next truck I am building, dreaming of the 3600 RPM's that I would be getting.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

that is good to know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I figured the torque would keep you pullin through strong, I just didn't really know for sure. I think I like the thought of hitting the mud slower rather than throw it all around into hard to find spots to rust out.
    But I'm still gonna get a snorkel though. Cause hey, you never know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    that and cause its super dusty out here. anytime I'm wheeling with a buddy, one guy has to get like a km ahead just so you can see. be nice to be sucking the good air from above the dust cloud /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh and one other question, does adding a turbo change your redline at all? or does it just give you more power where you already have it?
    thnx

8. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Turbo will not change the geometrics of the engine but it will help you get to the redline faster! And it adds power where you already have it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

In other words: a 6.2 + mud = lots of fun

<font color="purple">Drive a diesel - Be happy</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="red">DieselFreak</font> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

To me I like the diesel more because it requires less modification.

When I had my old 305. If I got stuck that was it. In 4HI the engine WOULD NOT turn the tires. I had to put 4LO just to TURN THEM, and have tranny in 1st.

I got stuck with my 6.2 the other day and That baby turned those TIRES as if they werent there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Pulled through more than I would with any gasser unfortunatly where I got stuck a 4x4 JOHN Deer tractor got stuck. Had to get pulled out by a tractor in the road with a LONG arse chain.

On the PLUS side I did pull out my dads smaller John Deere /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Here are pics of my 6.2 stuck http://community.webshots.com/album/50628205zzJgjh . Notice the dirt doesnt look WET. It was. Its that dumb south Texas sandy soil. Gets you by surprise. Looks DRY and you step on it and WATER just SEEPS up.

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

damn you weren't kidding about being a lot worse than it looked. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I woulda thought it was a dry field.

12. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Wow! That's stuck! That's really weird looking. You're right...looks like a dry field. Must be quick-sand, eh?

Casey