Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, Dec 8, 2000.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about diesel engines. Here is what i bascially know now. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Diesel engines are basically the same as gas engine except that they are built stronger. They do not use spark plugs because when the diesel fuel compresses in the cylinder, it explodes with out a spark. Diesel engines run hotter. They burn all the fuel and they are more efficient. Diesel engines last longer since they are always lubricated due to the oil in the diesel fuel. Glow plugs are used when it is really cool out side. They warm up the metal in the cylinder thus makeing the diesel fuel explode(there is a better word for it but can't remember) much faster.
    That was about all I know. Please tell me any other major things that I missed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You got most if not all the points . The reason diesel engines are so fuel efficient is the fuel has more btu's than any other fuel .They can also produce a lot of power by 1.Using cold air ( diesels need lots of air,cold air has more oxygen ) 2. turbos push great volumes of air so diesel fuels BTU rate increases making more power .Hope that helps

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One other thing , diesels diesel engines are designed to be loser when cold . As they get hotter they run better because everything gets tighter . That's why diesel smoke so much when cold and as they heat up the smoke goes away .

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just a couple more thoughts to add:

One other key thing to remember is that a diesel motor needs to BREATH!!! The better the airflow, the better the overall performance.

Diesels also last longer because on average they run at lower RPMs than gassers. Less RPMs means less wear over time.

Diesels are built stronger because they have to handle much higher compression ratios- 20:1 as opposed to 8 or 9:1.

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, i have been there a few times. I posted there in the summer but now I can't seem to find the free forum on the page.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

7. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

actually not all diesels burn all the fuel all the time...when you see a diesel start up in the cold and it puffs out white "smoke" that is actually steam or condensation,,not smoke...when you see a diesel puffing out black smoke going down the road,that is actually raw fuel that is coming out of the exhaust,carbon to be exact..this is what happens when you "turn 'em up"..you put more fuel into the cylinder but the engine can not burn it all so what is left over is carbon which is caused by the abundance of fuel and that is the black smoke you see...a good running diesel will not puff any black smoke idling or running under a load..

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure that I agree with the comment about diesels that blow black smoke aren't running right- most, if not all, non-turbo diesels will leave a smoke show under load, the heavier the load, the blacker the smoke.

9. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

you may be correct but i was referring to a newer elec. controlled diesel..some of the older diesels will show some haze but it will only show a lot because all of the fuel is not being ignited..this does not mean it is running poorly but that the engine can't use all the fuel being put into it..if you turn a diesel up it will pour black smoke all the time and especially under a load!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

We have got a '90 Dodge Diesel and we turned the pump up, that cranks horsepower up to around 250. Now when you step on it it pours black smoke out, but runs like a bat out of hell. Also sounds cool doing it with straight pipe.

<font color=orange>'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires</font color=orange>[​IMG]

11. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Really hate to tell you this...there is no free forum...its a pay site...unless you found something I didn't...hrm...let me do some checking here...nope...you can't even read it now...it used to be free :(
    [edit]
    found this as the home page of the board....
    http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
    Don't know if you can get in...but you can try!!!
    [edit]

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com