Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff and t-case vent breathers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jun 26, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Looking for a source for the breather vents on the diffs, t-case. Dealer says discontinued, local chains have no clue, even good local place doesn't carry them. Any ideas? Make my own? Run all the lines together into a really small K&N?

-- A

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Before the dealer ditched you, did they offer up a part number?

If they can't come up with one, you know they don't really know if they are disco'd or not, just lazy. I'd be surprised if they weren't available, did GM really stop using that style vents in 1991?

gmpartsdirect.com will look parts up for you (if they can) email and ask.

I plan to be home tonight where my parts manual is, but I suspect the piece won't be listed there...I don't recall seeing vents or the vent lines in the service manual, although the front axle uses that metal tube that SHOULD be listed...I'll check if I get a chance.

3. dremu

Duh duh duh. The dealer guy said he checked through the mid-80's ... sounded clueful, but who knows.

The duh, however, is that I have the parts books too; I should know better. The illustrated one does NOT list anything past the vent connector for the axle in groups 5 and 6, but I'll dig some more :D

EDIT: Yep, they're listed ... t-case and Blazer axles both use #8640496 ... which GMPD doesn't know about. ::Sigh:: Wait for tomorrow... :D

Thanks!

-- A

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I'm running into this exact same problem. It friggin sucks. The GM part number for the Dana 60 is 14056299, which is discontinued and no dealership/warehouse has any. Go figure??? No hardware store or nut & bolt place has this fitting, whether barbed or threaded. This sucks. Mine is busted and I need it.

Any clues where to get one? I'm desparate!

Manny

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well I used something totally different and is working....

ready for this....

I dont know what they are called.. but you know those C shaped long tubes that say hold a craftsman swivel together? I used one of them... tapped it right in and put the hose right to the axle nice and tight.... works for me... :crazy:

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

A uh, split pin, cotter pin? <--- Answer to RootBreaker

Do you think they would be the same off a GM 10 bolt? I can get you one, maybe two, you pay shipping?

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well it is a pin and it is split so id say... YES :haha:

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Those little plastic vent dealies are free (pocket, no you ain't frisking my groin) once you pay the cover charge at a pick-your-part yard. Same for trim screws, emblems, bulbs, relays; anything that fits in your hand. :wink1:

9. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I like Roadnotcas style :D

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:D :D

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Alternatives...

I've seen guys use in-line gas filters or PCV valves in the vent hoses end,rather than that GM stock breather dewhickey with the little hat on it..

They also sell breathers used for industrial gear boxes and speed reducers in the W.W.Grainger catalog--they look nearly identical to the factory GM ones..cheap too,about 10 bucks..but I'd just visit a junkyard if I needed one..:crazy:

Oh yeah--as for "pocketing" small items when your at the junkyard--don't do it here,they make you empty your pockets and look in your tool box before letting you roam the boneyards here now!..

We always used to take stuff like fuses,bulbs,ciggarette lighters,etc,but now if the find you in possesion of any "extra" parts,your "banned" from ever returning!..if you SHOW them your handfulls of "trinkets",they usually just say "take them",at no charge--but if you try sneaking out without showing them, and they find you with them--they WILL not let you in the yard again,and will remember you when its time for you to buy a part,that only they have that you need!..

I prefer to be honest,the places I deal with have treated me pretty good,why steal from them,even if its just something they will "waste" when the vehicle is scrapped..most of the time they give away the "small stuff"--as long as you ASK,and dont steal!..

12. dremu

Wow ... talk about resuscitating the dead.

Yep, I did the Pick-n-p-ull thing and got plenty.

D4Me, I *wish* the PnP's were remotely honest out here ... but they expect us, I swear, to pocket the small stuff and so they ream us on the big. They are NOT on my happy list.

-- A

13. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That's what I did. I ran a piece of rubber heater hose down the frame rail and tee'd in the diffs and trans and t-case, then there is a tee in the motor compartment which, when I get around to finishing the truck, I will run up the firewall to someplace as high as I can and put a little filter on it.

[​IMG]

If you look closely at the drivers side frame rail, you'll see the rubber line (gates) with the gates tee's (big one with tape on it just in front of trans), and a line going to each of the diffs and trans/t-case (can't really see those though)

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Different subject but those "rails" are awesome.

15. GsxrMike

GsxrMike 1/2 ton status

Did anybody ever find a place to purchase the vents besides the pick n pull?

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Let me get back to you GXR. I bought a bag of them from GMPARTSDIRECT. I'll go find the part number.

17. GsxrMike

GsxrMike 1/2 ton status

Thank you sir!:bow:

18. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Ok Mike, I couldn't put my hands on that little bag of ten, BUT, I remembered how I found the part number. I have a parts manual for my '85 Burb. The manual list two numbers; 14050700 for '85-'87, & 3912015 for '88-'90. I just looked at GMPARTSDIRECT and it came back with 14050700 is discontinued, but 3912015 is still good.
    You'll probably spend $20 (with S&H) for ten.
    This is for the milk-white plastic nipple, with a black "bobble-head" cap.
    Good luck.
    :usaflag:

19. GsxrMike

GsxrMike 1/2 ton status

What about running all of the lines together into a small K&N type filter/breather if I locate it high on the firewall? I want to run all my lines up there anyways!

EDIT: THANK YOU!

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Go for it. Get some books from the racers, they know what works. You're welcome.