Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diff between 1st and 2nd design spindles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi all. I need a spindle for a dana 44 and Esteban may have one, but he asked me whether I have a 1st design with smaller bearings or a 2nd design with larger ones. Anyone know how to tell the difference? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

This is out of a writeup by ThatK30Guy.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thank you! Are there any measurements that I could take to ensure what I get is the right one? For my rig, a 76, would be first design.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know about measurements. Might ask thatK30guy. Actually I believe he has second design spindles for sale in the for sale forum. I don't know which design you are looking for though.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yep, saw the post. I got measurements from the mechanic (I dunno how to do this stuff yet). He says inside diameter of bearing is 1 5/16". Outside diameter is 1 5/8". Says no rubber grommet, just the bearing. So, it would appear to be second design? Yet my rig is a 76, 30 spline dana 44 axle.

Wish I knew what the heck I was talking about. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe have your mechanic measure the outide diameter of the spindle. Where the inner bearing sits is the crucial point. Then get in contact with Wes and get the measurement from him on his second design ones.

BTW the bearing measurments that your mechnic gave you is for the needle bearing that is INSIDE the spindle. You need the measurements for the bearing that goes inside the hub and on the outside of your spindle. As an example.....my 10 bolt second design inner bearing measures 2" inside diameter and 3" outside diameter. So you measurments shouldn't be TOO much different than that.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Esteban. I'll go down to the shop tomorrow and measure it and take some pics.