Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff between a 10 meter and regular CB

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by crawlink5, Feb 1, 2004.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I started looking to buy a new cb and saw the 10 meter. what's the diff?

Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

CB operates on 11 meter. If you buy a 10 meter radio, you'd have to have it converted for 11 meter if you wanted to use it as a CB. It is illeagle to do so, but thousands of people do it. I myself run a 10 meter radio converted for 11 meter usage. Advantage, more power, and more channels. I really like the 10 meter "Galaxy" radios. I've ran them for years and have never had a major problem with them. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to tell you what I know, and my opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering if anyone came here often. I am completely ignorant when it comes to radios but I don't intend to stay that way. I may go to bookstore later and look. I don't know enough right now to ask the right questions.

I'm particularly looking at the Galaxys. I may get more than one radio as I don't want to deal with getting it switched over by someone else and for 99% of my uses a cb would be good for traffic reports. And they are cheap at approx $150. I used to listen to the truckers on the way to work. If I can do the switch myself I'd consider it. But, I'd get the cb 'cleaned and serviced'. There is a shop about an hour away that does this.

Is the 10m a much longer reaching radio? I'd like to have something that would reach WAY out in case of getting stuck in the woods with no other truck. Can't depend on the cell. Am I thinking of a ham radio here? Shortwave?

Got a three year old that will find this interesting later on.

Thanks,
    Doug

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

About; Is the 10m a much longer reaching radio? No not really, You'll get more distance on SSB then strait AM. On strait am, I usely get about 20 miles or so (Base radio with tower) on lower side band (I talk alot on lower 38 "27.3850") I can get 100 miles normally. I talk to a guy over by Devil's Tower almost daily. (I'm located just west of Rapid City, SD. and he is just east of Devil's Tower in WY. Just barely over 100 miles.) A good antenna will make a good difference on how your radio preforms. About converting a 10 meter radio for 11 meter usage, www.CBTRICKS.COM has usefull information. Places like H&Y Electronics and Copper Electronics will do the conversion and peak & tune for you for a few bucks more if you buy from them. My next mobile radio will be a Galaxy DX95T. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

You must also have amateur radio operator licence to use the 10 meter portion of the radio. You would be in violation of FCC rules and Regulations if you talk within the 10 meter band and could be punished by high fines if you do not have that license.

just food for thought

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You must also have amateur radio operator licence to use the 10 meter portion of the radio. You would be in violation of FCC rules and Regulations if you talk within the 10 meter band and could be punished by high fines if you do not have that license.

just food for thought

[/ QUOTE ] And in reality, how often does that happen. I've been playing with the radio for over 20 years, heard all kinds of stories, but never once has the FCC come knocked on my or anyone I know door. The vast majorty of us 10 meter converted for 11 meter radio owners stay in the 11 meter band. Yes, some do go above 27.4050, but they usely don't stay up there very long. I liston in alot, but rarely key up. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

What he was getting at is if you have one of the many models of 10 meter radios, converted or not, you need a license to operate them legally. Even with a license, it is only legal to use those radios on frequencies between 28.000-29.700mhz. (or the 12meter band too if the radio goes that low [like the RCI 2950 for example])

Most 10 meter radios can be converted like you mentioned to not only cover the 10 meter band but also 26.965-27.405mhz(the cb band) and beyond. Transmitting with those radios without a license or out of the authorized amateur band(s) is illegal. You are correct though that odds are, you won't have any problems with the FCC. Your odds of getting caught are much higher if you operate illegally within the 10 meter amateur band. There are a lot of licensed folks that don't like folks screwing up their bands and do everything possible to stop illegal activity.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you buy a 10 meter radio, you'd have to have it converted for 11 meter if you wanted to use it as a CB. It is illeagle to do so, but thousands of people do it.

[/ QUOTE ] I said that in my first reply in this thread. Not trying to sound like a know it all, because I'll be the first to admitt I still have alot to learn. I was only pointing out that useing a 10 meter radio converted for 11 meter is quite comman, and that the stories about the FCC riding down on people over it don't happen very often. I agree, if someone is causing a problem above 27.4050 or below 26.9650 then they get what they deserve. Here in western SD. I haven't heard anyone operating where they shouldn't, but when I lived in Omaha, Ne. it was quite comman to here converted radios on 27.5050 alot. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I know where you're coming from Paul, my reply was mostly for the sake of the original poster.

I did the whole "export radio" thing for several years myself..... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info. This is what I was looking for.

I am willing to get a license ($ within reason), but for the most part I would be listening and not talking except in an emergency. At that time a license wouldn't mean that much to me. I don't bother people, though. I do like having the option if needed.

11. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I also agree that the odds are that you would not be caught, but here in Tennessee the Amateur operators are monitoring the 10 meter and 12 meter bands more than they use to for the illegal operators and reporting to the OO (Official Observer). It did get pretty bad a couple of years ago, but the constant monitoring and reporting has brought the numbers down. Some don't get caught, but there several that do.

I have an Official Observer that lives not far from me that tells that he has reported over 40 cases in the last year.

As an amateur operator, I have worked hard learnig the code (20 wpm) and have a Extra class ticket the hard way, so I can use the bands to their fullest and hate to see them taken away by freebanders. this just my opinion and I would imagine that most Amateur operators would feel the same way.

Phillip Johnson KB4I