Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff between Crossover and reg steering boxes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, May 10, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Is the AGR box for crossover steering a 2WD box, or is it a modified 4WD box for crossover?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It is a two wheel drive box with fancy paint to match the fancy price tag. AGR parts are the same as what you can buy from the parts store........with fancy paint. A 4x4 box can be made into a 2wd box by swapping the sector shaft. Save your money by getting a 2wd box from the juckyard.

3. René

René 1/2 ton status

Sector shaft? Is it the pitman shaft? And where does one get the pitman arm that has enough space to the frame?

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It is the shaft the pitman arm bolts to. If you look in the product reviews it shows everything pretty well. Getting the pitman arm is easy over here in the states. You can try http://www.offroaddesign.com/index.htm orhttp://www.rockstomper.com/index.html
    Both of them carry the pitman arm you would need to do crossover and they both offer a complete system. Mine is from Rockstomper.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Save yourself about $300 and just use a 2wd steering box. AGR is not worth it. Just make sure you get a box with the correct fittings. Up to 1980 used flare fittings and 81 and newer used o ring fittings. Just double check before you buy one.

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Yes if you get an agr you can use the taps for the hydro steer down the road And yes it cost to much

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Yes, you swap the pitman shaft......I think the officail term is steering sector, but I have been known to be wrong. As for "space to the frame"....I'm not sure what you mean. I got my crossover steering pitman arm from ORD.

8. René

René 1/2 ton status

To come over to the correct possition, I must install the pitman arrm to the rear (90°). If I steer than to the right, the arm pushes to the frame, because the offset is missing to it.

@all,
    I’m glad to have found this forum. Here I get new Tipps to improve my truck again and again.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you have to use a pitman arm from a different application.
    Ford Dodge Jeep are popular sources