Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff breathers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 14, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

a quick question on diff breathers, how should i extend them? im not sure if this is right but the way i would do it is just to put a regular fuel/clear line over the original metal fitting on the end of the hose and just clamp it w/ a hose clamp. Is this the correct way to do it? Does the metal end need to be the absolute end of the hose? Should i extend the transfer case breather as well. Is there one for the tranny, i have a 700r4 i couldnt find it when i was looking for it.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah any regular hose will do, just take them up high. Do the t/case as well. Trans have a hole near the top on the side. You can't put a breather pipe on as there is nothing to attach it to. On my TH350 when I rebuilt it I tapped a thread in there so I could put a breather on.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I seriously thought about hooking mine together, but I didn't. :)

Use 5/16 hose.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are there any other "breather" holes to watch out for? I have reiased the diffs, doing the transfer case to day.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Some trans' have a little plastic tube for the breather. It's usually near the top, on the passenger side, near the base of the b/h. What I've done is find some vacuum tube that fits tight over the plastic tube. Then fit the fuel hose over that. On the Project YJ (LS1/4L60E/D300) I used a double wrap of safety wire on the vacuum tube to hold it onto the plastic tube (too small for a hose clamp) and did the same thing again where the vacuum hose fit inside the fuel hose b/c there wasn't room for a hose clamp. I manifolded all four vent hoses together and used a K&N breather.