Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff carrier re-assembley

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I'm putting my blazer back on the road and having problems with the carrier going back into the bell housing.

I have put the shims on both sides and then the bearing housing on that but the whole thing seems to be a bit tight.

It's going in but don't know how much force i should use to get it in there.

Shall I use a hammer? a mallet? kick it?

AAAGGGHHH HELP!!!! (please) /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Kia.

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

It should be a snug fit. I usually use a deadblow hammer or a brass drift to convince them to go in.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It'll be tight, i usually hold the shims on the ends with the races and all, kinda tricky, but i have had no real problems with it. Once it's started, i just tap it in with the hammer slowly, not hitting it too hard, but hard enough to get it in.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Put the races on the bearings, put the shim for the left side against the race. Set in in the housing. Then, keeping the race straight, wedge the right shim inbetween the race and housing. Tap the shim in with the cap, if you dont tap the shim in with the cap, it will break.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

Put the races on the bearings, put the shim for the left side against the race. Set in in the housing. Then, keeping the race straight, wedge the right shim inbetween the race and housing. Tap the shim in with the cap, if you dont tap the shim in with the cap, it will break. Pry bars to get the carrier back out.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You are saying (which the original poster apparently is not doing) is to install the carrier and one shim all the way, THEN insert the last shim, no?

IIRC thats how it is supposed to go together, not shims THEN the carrier.

7. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all that Guys, gonna try it all tomorrow morning /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(It's about 2am here in the UK at the mo /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

Kia. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    You are saying (which the original poster apparently is not doing) is to install the carrier and one shim all the way, THEN insert the last shim, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what im sayin'.