Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff. Cover Load Studs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Feb 1, 2002.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I just received my new Summit Racing differntial cover for my 10 bolt. It's got these load studs that I'm not sure what to do with. They have a round pivoting head on one end. And it says to torque the load studs to 10 ft.lbs. Should that round pivoting head be touching something inside the diff? It also came with jamb nuts that fit on the load studs. Do I use these to keep the studs in place?

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

2. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the studs with the pivoting ends will make contact with the Carrier bearing saddles. These studs minimize the saddles from distorting under load. To install the cover back the studs out and install the cover as usual. After the cover is installed, adjust the preload studs to the 10 ft/lbs. and then tighten the jamb nuts. I would also suggest using liquid teflon on the stud to keep the oil from creeping up the threads and leaking.

I may be slow, but I sure am fat!