Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diff cover -painting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Mar 5, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I got my diff cover grinded down spotless with no rust

its the front diff and has the fill plug on the middle of it, for the life of me, i cant get this plug off... can i just paint the cover with the plug on, and count on the shop (air tools, power tools) to get it off when they fill up the axles? Or should I try and get it off to paint, i really dont think i can do it. Would painting on/over/around it do anything??

2. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Did you try an wrench and a hammer? How about putting the square headed plug in a vise and turning the cover around it? Sorry if this sounds back woods, It's just what I think of when I'm in improv mode. Just my $.02
    -Ben

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would just put the cover back on the axle with a few bolts and then remove the plug. It would take about 5 minutes to put 3 bolts in the cover on the axle, and then bust the plug loose, and take the cover back off.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Bust out the penetrating lube! Leave it soak for a day or two then go at it again. Painting over it will make it harder to get a wrench on there.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I tried using a hammer and a breaker bar, thing is i cant get the damn cover to stay still... yes i realize i could put it on the axle, but the axle is way over at this shop, not too far, but i think ill just paint over and let shop deal with it hahaha.

6. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I would second putting the square plug in a vice and twsting the hell out of it, that should easily do it!
    -Kell-

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[scarecrow song] If I only had a vise [/scarecrow song]

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [scarecrow song] If I only had a vise [/scarecrow song]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Another thought, bolt it to the bench. Use some lag screws or if its metal, even better.

Just MHO,
    John

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I seond that - bolt it to the bench.
    If you have a wood top bench, drive a few nails in some of the holes to hold it.

I'm still missing the point of removing the drain plug in order to paint it. Why wouldn't you want to paint thr drain plug?When you have the diff cover on and there are 10 fat bolts holding in in place, the drain plug will come out easily with a 3/8" ratchet or wrench.
    -- Mike

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

if all else fails. . . clamp the bolt head in the vise. put a bolt through one hole. tie a rope to your truck and drive! make sure it's counter clockwise/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

no, i'm kidding, but i have used that strategy for some bolts, and it works WELL.

11. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

If all else fails, if it's a Dana 60 (I am assuming it is) go on www.ebay.com and order a new HD thick
    diff cover, for like $10. That's what I did, pretty damn nice cover, and it's a lot thicker then the stock
    pos! Later
    -fLeXy K20

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Its a 3/4 ton front, i just painted it with the plug on... i was just thinking i would get a layer of paint on the plug and cover then making it even more difficult to take off... bu oh wel