Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff filler plug rounded out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was out changing my diff oil on my 14bff and the thing is kinda rusty. I went to pull the filler plug and it really didn't want to turn. So I sprayed some penetrating oil on it, and like an idiot, hit it with the impact wrench with a 3/8" adapter. This rounded it out in short order. It doesn't look like a 3/8" socket extension will ever get a grip on it again.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to do? Is there some other tool that will get a better grip on this thing? Can I apply heat to it without melting seals or something? Is drilling it out an option without ruining something on the other side or getting metal shards someplace where they can't be flushed out (I sure can't see the hole looking from the inside)?

Or should I just buy a diff cover with a filler in it and forget about it?

Thanks for any help.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Fill plug is in the side of the pumpkin, right? Heat should be no problem. If it were me I'd weld a bolt onto it and get it off with the impact. Tween the heat and the impact :D

I'd also replace the plug with a regular plumbing type what has the square head to use a wrench on.

-- A

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ah, good idea. Thing is I'm a new and lousy welder. I'll probably end up welding the plug into the housing. :rolleyes:

4. dremu

I categorically deny ever havng done anything like that. Ever.

And it's in SUCH an EASY place to get to, too... :(

You'll prolly bust the bolt off the first time you put the impact on it ... I ended up, as I recall, having to weld a nut onto a broken stud I had once ... I believe eight times.

But the eighth time, that stud came out! :D

-- A

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

post pics! haha jp, but that looks like the only way.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try this..

Lacking a welder or torches at a friends house ,we used a large allen wrench to get his stripped diff filler plug out..just picked one a bit too big to easily fit,and drove it in with a BFH..it came right out,but we had a hard time getting it off the allen wrench later!..I have welded square stock on some I stripped out at my shop..also drilled one and used an E-Z out,when I had no welder ..sometimes you can grind a 1/2" bolt square and pound it in too,and use a wrench on it to unscrew it..

I always remove those sucky style pipe plugs,and put "normal" plumbing ones in my diffs..only use the OEM ones for plugging an unused intake port, or something non-critical..:crazy:

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

anyone got a pic of a "plumbing style plug"? What are they made of? Use teflon tape I assume. I am going to change my diff oil after I get it running right, and I might as well go ahead and change the plug while I'm at it.... Any tips for not stripping it when I go to take it off?
    thanks,
    James

8. dremu

The difference with a pipe plug is that it has a square drive sticking OUT, instead of IN, if that makes sense.

-- A

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

And you can get them in brass so it doesn't rust in again.

10. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

11. dremu

Oooh, is that one hex-headed even? I'm used to square-headed ones.

-- A

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The one pictured is a square head.

13. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

I got mine out with an extractor bit pounded in the rounded hole and back it out with a t handle and leverage bar. Took 5 min and a trip to the store. Another trick is to heat it up and put candle wax on it around the threads to separate the threads from the casting then extract it out. That worked for a plug on my cylinder head that was broken off and rusted.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--that kind!..

You can get the regular plumbing ones at home depot or Lowes ,for less than a buck for steel...brass costs more,and is also available in hex head or allen head if desired...I've never had one leak,so I never used teflon tape..not a bad idea on a steel plug ,or Never-seize it,to prevent rust..

Mostly its morons who over tourque the plugs that cause all the greif,or rust..just because its on the diff,doesn't mean it needs 100 ft lbs of torque like a lug nut!..:rolleyes: ...