Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff Fluid Change

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Nov 27, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Well, its about that time...I have a 10 bolt front and rear. I was curiouse as to how I would go about changing the fluid...Also, what tools will I need?? any special size wrenches?? etc...I was looking under at the transfer case and tought about changing it as well...there was a HUGE ass bolt under there that looked like the one to drain?..I was wondering what size it was....??.....

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

For the diffs: Remove the diff covers and let fluid drain into a pan or bucket. Then clean out diff with a rag and wd40 to get the left over old fluid out. Then reinstall the diff covers(if your gaskets didn't tear, just apply some gasket goop to them and reinstall the covers). Now fill with fresh gear lube. Each diff should take about 2 bottles of lube, maybe 2 1/4 bottles.

For the t-case. You probably have an NP208. Drain the t-case throught the lower plug and then re-install the bolt. Now remove the upper plug and fill with fresh t-case fluid.

If I am not mistaken the NP208 uses Tranny fluid, but dont quote me on that, it has been a while. It hink this takes 3 quarts of fluid if I am not mistaken. Maybe someone can clear the t-case issue up for me!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The 208 does take tranny fluid(Dexron III). Make sure you loosen the drain plug slowly, and when the fluid starts to drip, STOP and let it slowly drain out. If you pull it out quickly, the fluid will literally shoot straight out about 2 feet. DON'T ASK HOW I KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

It's also a good idea to drive the truck for a few miles with the TC engaged to get the fluid warmed up and mixed around.

Everybody I've talked to has said that the 208 takes around 3 litres to fill, but mine took just under 5........don't know why, but it did.

And one last hint- there is no easy way that I know of to refill the TC once it's been drained. I use a pistol-type oil can and pump half a litre in at a time. It took me around half an hour. Maybe someone else has a good trick they can share?????

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I use the top of a sports drink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

COOL.......who'd a thought that the thread patterns would be the same?????

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My T-case uses 90 weight, and most gear lube containers have a pointy end you cut off so you can squeeze it in. I attached some clear vinyl tubing to the end of it and squeeze the hell out of it. Takes me about 5 minutes. I've done the oilcan thing, I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome from doing that. [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

7. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Rene,

You got me laughing on that one! My right forearm is larger than my left from adding gear oil ... or is it because ...

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

One other tip in refilling the np208 (which uses Dexron fluid) is to take a piece of garden hose and stick on end in the fill hole and run the other out the side and as high as you can..stick a funnel in the top and it will work like a siphen..and you can stand up to do it