Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm getting ready to button up the diff portion of my axle rebuilds, just need to clean them out and fill them up with fluid and close em. What I'm wanting to know is, since they are not under my burb and on axle stands, when I go to fill the diff with fluid, can a person actually put to much fluid in and hurt anything? I was thinking of filling them up before I put the covers on. Is there a preset amount that should go in?

2. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I fill mine to the bottom of the drain plug. I understand overfilling blows it out the vent, when it warms up. Plus it can blow seals out.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'de wait till you have them in.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Some repair manuals give the volume of fluid the various diffs hold. If you're super anxious to fill them up before you have them swapped in, you could always put in the amount the books say and you should be fine. Then maybe once they're swapped in, take 5 minutes to remove the fill plugs and see whether you need to let a bit drain out or add another couple sqeezes.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Jeff...IIRC, I put 2 quarts in my D44 and just under 3 in my 14BFF. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It has been a few weeks but I am pretty sure that is right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif