Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff gear set-up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Jun 13, 2000.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have a link or a reference to an article detailing how exactly to set up rear gears? You know the ones with the pics of the pattern where the pinion is running, where to shim what and when? Im having a little trouble figuring it out by trial and error.

Thanks
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Mike,

Check Randys Ring and Pinion at http://www.ring-pinion.com/TechLibrary.html This page has some very useful info in setting up your dif. Click on the link above then go to Four Critical Ring and Pinion Settings. This should help you in setting up your gears.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Just a tip that I learned to setting up my rearends. I took the old Bearing and machined it out just a tad so that it didnt have to be pressed in and out (since it isnt good for the bearing anyway) every time to change the shims. So there for I could Play around with the shims until I go the correct pattern then take it in and have it pressed on once....

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

4. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I like using the GM shop manual. I have the full set for the 1986 Trucks. They tell you every detail of what to do.
    CB