Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff Guard or Rock Ring for 12 Bolt and 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by captaininsano, Oct 22, 2004.

1. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I am having no luck finding Rock Rings or Diff Guard for the Corp 12-Bolt and Corp 10-bolt. Doesn't anyone make anything for these? Tried Missouri Offroads site, Poison, Avalanche, all nothin, oh and Crane too. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

About ready to make my own /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif but feelin lazy and would rather by someone elses R&D.

2. captaininsano

Actually I see Missouri Offroad does have them, are there any others anyone knows about. I like the Poison Spyder sunken bolt head design.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have one from Blue Torch Fabworks.

12bolt cover You should see a link to the 10bolt cover. I went with the Crane cover in the front.

Just installed them last week. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

4. captaininsano

HA Yeah in my continued searching I came across the BlueTorch covers, I had seen them before but forgot about em. Just ordered front and rear, they look sweet and are 1/4" thick, have not seen anything thicker than that and the price is pretty reasonable compared to others. Gotta love the Iron Cross too. We are thinkin of going to Calico in cali desert next month so if so I will definitely get to test them out down there. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Hossbaby50 plated my stock ones for a song . They came out awesome

6. mrk5

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that can do something like that.

I don't do much hard wheeling, and the only damage I've seen is to the diff covers.

Peeled and dented both. Damaging the diff cover is the biggest concern I have when I wheel, so I figured it was worth it.

captaininsano, one bit of advice on the BTF cover. I really didn't like the bolts it came with. They are 12pt heads. You can't get a regular bolt on them because the holes are too close to the weld beads. So this weekend I'm swapping them out for either allen head bolts or botton head bolts.

7. pauly383

Harley is moving to Colorado in January /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. captaininsano

12 pt heads huh, that sucks, those get messed up to easy. Allens are nice except when they get full of mud and stuff but better than 12pt in my opinion. I guess I will make a trip to OSH when the covers get here. Thanks for the heads up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mrk5

I'll let you know what works best for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. mrk5

[ QUOTE ]
    Harley is moving to Colorado in January /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember seeing that post awhile back, but I think he's going to be way south of me. I'm only 45min from Wyoming.

11. pauly383

Well then someday , hopefully next year , I'll have to come up there and learn a little georgraphy ............maybe wheel with some of you guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I will be in Fort Collins actually. The plan was Durango at first but as of now it will be Fort Collins for awhile. GF is at CSU.

I do plate covers for a fair price if you are interested. I just did one round of covers last Tuesday. Two 10 bolt fronts, One 10 bolt rear, and one 14bsf. One 10 bolt front is sold the others are FS. A pic of my current covers is here.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/122906310/122921995hLnmiu

Those are the covers on my truck right now. I can also add more protection then just the ring gear. One of my 10 bolt covers FS is heavily (much more then the ring gear strap) plated and should be unbendable except for the most extreme hits.

I have run both my covers for about 8 months on about 6 differnt runs (rockcrawling) and not dents or problems yet.

If you want a price PM me and we will talk. I can ship them to you if need be.

Harley

13. mrk5

Fort Collins is 15miles straight west of me. So far I only know of one other fellow CK5er up here north of Denver. Ft Collins is nice. Little big for me, but we do alot of shopping over there. Ault only has 1000 people, BTW. Housing is a lot cheaper here than in Ft Collins. It is only a 15min drive from here to north end of Collins.

Those covers look nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But it's too late for me. My brother-in-law might be interested. Matter of fact he lives here too and works in Ft Collins at New Belgian brewery.

14. mrk5

Paul, you've gotta come check it out.

I've never been to Arizona myself (other that the four corners /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) I'd like to come down there sometime. I haven't even seen the Grand Canyon yet.

15. pauly383

I'll see what the wife wants to do next year , I get 2 weeks , and I already got the OK for BB05 if the project gets off the ground . Lets just say I plan to in the future for sure sometime . And if you are ever down here , you already have friends , trails and fun waiting for you /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif