Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff Oil issue

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79GM, Dec 4, 2001.

1. 79GM

79GM Newbie

I know this is beyond newbie and the only resason i dont know how to do it is because i havent done it before. im hoping i dont get flamed but i cant seem to figure out how i would change my differential oil. I know i could remove the differential cover but how can i put oil back in without it all spilling out. Thaks alot.

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

there a hose that connects to the differential, find the top and then fill it up with like 80W90 gear lube

hola

3. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Once you drain it, put the cover back on, and on the front of the diff where the pinion is, there should be a fill plug.

Mud...

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There should be a fill hole on the side of the diff. On my 10 bolt it is on the passenger side. It is round with a square indentation. A 3/8" extension fits into the square indent. Take out the plug, and fill with gear oil until it starts to poor back out the hole. Then put the plug back in.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Remove the diff cover to drain the fluid. This is the preferred way because you get to check the condition of the diff also and see if there are any metal shavings in the bottom of the case. Make sure you clean the surface off completely before putting the cover back on or else it will leak. I use blue RTV instead of a gasket to reseal it. There should be a plug on the passenger side near the front of the pumpkin that you remove in order to fill it up. Newbie questions are always welcome here .. the only dumb questions are the one's you don't ask [​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 12/04/01 06:55 PM.</FONT></P>

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And after all the oil has drained spray some BrakeKleen into the housing to break up and flush out any accumulated crud. I use a whole can per diff. Make sure to scoop out any leftover residue with a rag and let the BrakeKleen evaporate before sealing the dif back up and refilling it.

BTW, here in CK5 country, we don't flame newbies......We were all there once. Welcome aboard!!!!![​IMG]

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

8. Hossbaby50

Can you use brakeclean with a auburn posi? I was wondering if it would hurt the clutch packs. Thanks

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    If indoubt spay the housing(carrier), not the loaded case(Auburn Possi).
    FYI, Auburn does reccomend Dyno oil only, do not use Synthic oil(moble 1) !

10. Hossbaby50

The guy at the shop that put it in told me to run normal gear oil, and 1 bottle of the GM LSD oil. So thats what I do. I use 80W-90 and 1 7oz (i think) bottle of the GM LSD oil. Thanks for the info Ex.