Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What type of diff is this? 10 bolt or Dana44?

Is it worth finding a Dana44 if it is a 10 bolt?

Untitled-5.jpg

2. ss396

ss396 Registered Member

10 Bolt. I think a lot of guys prefer the dana 44, not sure if they are any stronger.

I will wait until my 10 bolt breaks, then I will have the same decision to make.

3. Russell

Hmm, thats unfortunate... The guy I bought it from told me it was a D44 :P

Oh well, if it doesn't break, its good enough for now :)

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

10-Bolt

I prefer a D44 because there are more of them, which means cheaper and easier to find parts. The 3/4 ton D44's have 8 lug rotors to match your 1 ton rear. And the older D44's can be modified to run crossover steering.

All good stuff. :D And that picture is definetly a 10-bolt.

5. Russell

Yeah, she has got a 10.5 14 bolt FF rear, 4.10 gear ratio. I'll run this front diff till I can find a d44, then I'll sell this diff to my buddy and put the D44 under :)

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

puting a 44 under there is really pointless IMO. The strength difference is non existent and the I don't know about your junkyards but I know in mine the 10 bolt is easier to find than a 44. Mine you that the 1/2 shafts are exactly the same as the 3/4 ton ones in the 10 bolt. I have a 10 bolt with 8 lug outers on my 89 burb, if I bust a shaft all I need to do is find a shaft fron an 89 blazer to replace mine(I have the 30 spline front shafts which is another story).

10 bolts can be modified to run crossover just fine you just need knuckles from an older D44.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is a 10 bolt for sure. I prefer a 10 bolt over a D44 anyday. 10 bolts are newer axles which means the metals in the axleshafts and such has probably had less of its fatigue life used up. Parts are easier to find and cheaper to find because they are newer and alot of people believe the myth about D44 being better axles so they swap in D44's.

If you swap out a 10 bolt for a D44 with the idea a D44 will do anything better then a 10 bolt you are a victim of the D44 myth too. You can put crossover steering on a 10 bolt no problem. I am about to go jump in my truck with crossover steering and a 10 bolt and drive to work.

Harley

8. chasone64

chasone64 Registered Member

I plan on keeping my 10 bolt, untill I can afford a D60. They are a lot more popular in the J/Y's here also then the D44, and they are cheaper.

9. Russell

Hmm, this makes me feel much better about things... I haven't really got that much experience with 4x4 stuff yet, so I was under the impression that a D44 was a significantly better axle. Now I know that they are just as good, so I am not concerned with it :)