Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diff side bearing puller for D60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_87K5, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I need to pull the diff side bearings off my Dana60 w/ARB. I found the tool in the Kent Moore catalog. Wondering if there are other tool options so I could
    compare pricing.

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I just bought a Snap On puller for the carrier bearings. It was about $200.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you have a part number for the puller? Is it specific for D60 or is it universal for all carrier bearings of all different models? I need to buy one myself so I can do my D60 rebuild correctly otherwise I have to pay someone to do it for me. I already tried with the pullers I have at hand and have already damaged a set of carrier bearings.

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Kent Moore tool catalog is 1994 copy. p/n J29721. Price list says tool weighs 56 lbs and costs $647.60 list. This looks like a screw up in the price list (January 1995) The tool is specific for 9.75" Dana60 truck. I posted the Dana 60 tool
    page from the catalog at: http://members.ac.net/~sg/

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The Snap-On puller I got is part # CJ81-D. Lists at $200.75. This puller set is part of their "Bar Type Interchangeable Pullers" line. I also had to buy one additional adapter (CJ85-5) to fit the 14 Bolt carrier (the set comes with the next four smaller adapters). The nice thing about this puller is that there are a ton of other jaws, adapters, bars, etc. that you can buy separately, so it can be used for other stuff in the future with minimal additional investment. I do not have a D60, so you would have to make sure that one of the adapters that come with the set will work with that carrier. All of the dimesions are on the Snap-On web site.

This link is to the page with the puller set:
    http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?P65=yes&qt=1&tool=all&INV_ONHAND=&FREIGHT=&qty=1&Item_id=10211&PartNo=CJ81D&Price=200.75&ListPrice=200.75&FORMNAME=1&Desc=Puller%2C+Differential+Side+Bearing&SUB_Cat_ID=1165675&SUB_Cat_NAME=Bar+Type+Interchangeables&Cat_ID=1165120&Cat_NAME=Pullers&group_id=1219&group_NAME=Bar+Type+Interchangeable+Pullers&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.snapon.com and browse the catalog. Search for pullers, then "bar type interchangeable".

If you do use this puller, make sure that you tighten the cross bar that pulls the jaws together real tight, or it will still slip off the bearing.

Randy's ring and pinion also sells a puller set for side bearings, but I never priced it. That puller is a totally different concept from the Snap-On.