Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff size tires front and rear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Apr 20, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I know it's bad for the transfer case and all, but I saw some pics of mudboggers with 42's up front, 44's out back, or 39's and 37's etc. I even saw a purple Jeep with 44's and 39.5's. How do they do this without killing the transfer case/gears or whatever it is bad for? Do they run different gear ratios or something?

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well one thing they're spinning the tires pretty good in the mud. As long as the tires are slipping some the TC won't know the difference.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mud runners do this so the front tires spin faster, and helps pull them through the mud. They also have been know to run slightly different gears ratios to accomplish the same thing.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The big time mud boggers run different gears to compensate. I did the same thing once, I had 2.73s in front with 31s and 3.08s out back with 35s. It was winter time and I need 4wd, I had no choice.

Once I had 4.10s in back and 3.08s in front and I locked it in 4wd in deep mud for only a few seconds when I was stuck and it worked just fine (I had 35s all around that day, and I wasn't meaning to go muddin', I just had followed some kid down the trail and hit a deep spot by accident). Good thing my friend's K5 was there to save the day that day.

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

So it can be done without hurting anything? Good. What I want to do is run 44's in the rear w/ my current 5.13's, swap out my D44 with 5.13's to a D60 with the front 42's. What gear ratio should I look for in the front? 4.56 or 4.88? I'm not really even sure what ratios are available in the D60's.