Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diff swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Oct 21, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

If i take everything out of one diff and install it into another will everything be ok including backlash and all that other stuff. I want to swap a set of 2:73 for 3:73's from one 10bolt to another.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I doubt it. There are always machining differences between axles.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I would think you'd have to set up everything. Youll have to reinstall the pinion with new crush sleeve, shim it to center, and adjust for backlash and all that good stuff. You can always try n see!!

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like the chief says!

5. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Crap. Well I am going to try it anyways and then post a pic on here showing the backlash and hopefully someone who knows how to will tell me if its ok or if it needs to be adjusted. Then if it is does I will bring it to a shop and get it done by someone who know's how. What is the yellow stuff that everyone uses to check if the backlash is correct and where do you spray it?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You probably won't get a good pattern throwing a different carrier in there with existing gears. Randy's ring-pinion says that it's pretty tough to get a good pattern with used gears.

Not sure the technical name, I've just called it gear marking compound. It's a paint on stuff that I got with my bearing kit.

You could try a before/after pattern, but in the cases I've done this, either the gears howled or they didn't. Howling=fix the problem.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You can get a tube of Prussian Blue at most any auto parts store. It is a little harder to usse than the standard gear marking compound though. The pattern is harder to see.
    Try the swap then post up pics and i will tell you what to adjust.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Do you have the whole other axle assembly ? Why not just swap the whole 9 yards , you can reuse your brakes etc . Just clean it up and replace the seals/bearings on the axle ends .

9. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

No I was going to grab it off the same truck I got the 14 bolt from at the wreckers So i didnt want to buy the whole thing. Beside I have newer ball joint and seals in mine know.

10. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If you don't know how to set up gears, you will run into some pretty major problems. Even if you are willing to deal with the noise they will make, they will not survive long and they will probably break while wheeling. Either buy and swap the whole axle or pay someone to do it right.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You should be close. Yes, no two housings are the same, but youll still be in in the ball park, and not like you starting from scratch. Mark your caps, keep your shims in the correct places, check the backlash and pattern BEFORE you tear apart the 3.73'd axle.

Mark the caps on the housing yoru going to use, check the backlash and pattern on the gears yoru going to use. Take it apart and keep the shims in the right side, the pinion has the shim behind the bearing. Check the bearings and races. Put a new seal and crush sleeve, make sure you crush the sleeve and the bearings are seated. Youll need a few tools like a 1/2" gun, decent sized prybars, brass punch, something to install the new seal without damaging it and big hammer.

12. 1977k5

So you are suggesting that someone who had never set up a rear end crush a crush sleeve and check the pinion bearing preload by hand and feel? I'm sure those pinion bearings will last longer than a week :rolleyes: . You "might" be able to keep the backlash close enough to make it work, and the pinion depth shouldn't change, but the pinon bearing preload really needs to be set right or your pinion bearings will not last.

13. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've done it and it worked, if its in the front how much use is it going to get

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well I never said anythign about crushing the sleeve and checking it by hand, eventhough thats how I do it.

15. 1977k5

I can get very close by hand as well (though I still use an inch pound torque wrench to check it), but that is because if have done 15 or so. I guess if it is for the front with a 208 (part time) and manual hubs on the front and you don't plan on driving very fast in 4wd, you will probably be ok.