Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

difference between 1/2T and 3/4T calipers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DieselDan, Mar 27, 2001.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I (like so many others) am contemplating swapping in rear discs on my 14 bolt FF. I see TSM has a kit for using 3/4 ton disks and calipers(?). I've got 1/2Ton calipers kickin' around and I know what 1 ton calipers look like; what the difference with the 3/4 ton calipers - are the same as the 1/2 tons but with bigger rotors? Or are they a totally different animal? Is anybody using something else for calipers/rotors on their 14bolt?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers are very exchangable. Matter of fact, they are the same part no. when you go to a parts store and get new ones for either 1/2 or 3/4 ton. They are the SAME thing.

3. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

They are the same size, & will bolt up, same brake pad also. BUT, (on my '85 I had allready bought longer hoses) the caliper off the '77 3/4 doner the banjo bolt was bigger. I stayed w/ my 1/2 ton works great. I will admit though I was lazy i did not want to exchage my hoses or have to bleed the other calipers.

Later Ed

LET'S ROCK
    Don't follow me you will get STUCK!!

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

K30Guy
    So let me get this straight!! Are you saying that I'm out pricing 3/4 ton calipers for my 14ff rear disc kit & I can just use the new calipers off my front 10 bolt that I already have???

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

i 4x4 made me remember the banjo bolts that hold the brakeline to the caliper. The D44 and 10B both use a DIFFERENT size banjo bolt. One is smaller than the other and if you used it on the other caliper, you may have some leakage problems. So, if it were me, I wouldnt care which caliper to use as long as the brakeline was the correct one. Brakelines are cheaper to change than the calipers.

6. the bleeder valves on 10 bolts use a 10 mm wrench instead of the 3/8 on the 44 and have corser threads. just put 10 bolt 1/2 ton calipers on my 3/4 ton 10 bolt. no problems.

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 4" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>