Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between 1 ton and 3/4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SAVAGE1, Dec 20, 2000.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Is there any difference between the 14 bolt FF in a 3/4 and a 1 ton. Thanks.

Rod

BLAZE IT UP!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Spring perch width center to center, and brake size. The 1 ton 14 has monster brakes.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I have a 1 ton 14 bolt, would there be any problems in bolting this into my K5?

BLAZE IT UP!!!

4. tRustyK5

The only problem would be the perch width. I can't recall what the measurements are but if you measure the K5's perch width and compare it to the 1 ton 14 bolt you'll see the perches have to be moved. Big brakes are good. You'll need a hybrid u-joint as well.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

The 1 ton has spring perches that are 40 1/2 pages wide, while the 3/4 ton version is 42 1/2 inches wide (just like your Blazer!). I just put in a 3/4 ton version, it bolted right in! You will have to have the perches cut off and welded on at the right width, and while you're at it, make sure you get the perches to line up your pinion angle exactly with the t-case angle (that is a problem I ran into!) That way you won't have the bad driveline vibes I got! The big brakes are nice, but mine work just fine...that axle is heavy enough!!!!!!

6. tRustyK5

534 lbs is the number I've seen for a dressed 14 bolt. I put mine in by myself, I don't recommend that.
    Another job I don't recommend is re and re-ing a NP205/SM465 by yourself.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Has anyone put a 1 ton 14 bolt into their Blazer. Is it really worth the extra work? I got a good deal on this one... $100 bucks from a 79 crew cab... so I want to make it work. Are the perches wider on the Dana 60 as well? Thanks guys for the info.

Rod

BLAZE IT UP!!!

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The Dana 60 will bolt right into the front of your truck. I think you need to just change the brake lines. I have a 1 ton 14 bolt in my truck, but I have a 1st gen K5, so the perches lined right up. I did have to re-weld the shock tabs and put degree shims in it though. </font color=blue>

9. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Is it a dually 1-ton or just a K-30 single rear wheel? The single rear wheel axle should bolt into a K-5, at least a few I've seen.

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Its a single rear wheel. The truck is similar to the one SMP just got.. (trashed)!! Its out of a 79 and I'll measure the perches as soon as I get it into my garage. I'm tryin to get the guy to sell me the Dana 60 front but I think that's why he got the truck in the first place. That would be my dream setup!! Thanks for the info guys.. keep it comin.

BLAZE IT UP!!!