Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between 14 ff open and govlock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Aug 6, 2004.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the ignorance, new to straight axles. Am thinking of changing out the rear 10 bolt for a 3/4 ton 14 bolt. What's the difference between a opened and a govlocked axle?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

govlocks are factory installed lockers...notorious for blowing up in 10bolts... stronger in 14 bolts.

3. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

Just asking -- 14 bolt govlocked axle is available and wondering whether it's easy to change out gearing and add a locker (i.e. Detroit). Or whether it costs more than an open 14 bolt

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'd look for an open one, it will be easier to swap gears and put a detroit (or whatever locker) in it.

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I recommend you get one with an open carrier and install a detroit. The Gov lock is ok, but it recquires a lot more wheel spin to activate (approx. 100 rpm). The detroit will lock as soon as one tire slips.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have the 14bff with the factory Gov-Loc, and i wish i had an open carrier to install the Detroit, the Gov-Loc to me doesn't seem to really do much, maybe helps alittle, but not real noticable, it could also need rebuilt too though, but either way, wished i had a little different setup...Get the one with the open carrier. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

OH and the other thing is you can't install a Detroit into a Gov-Loc carrier.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

To break it down a little more, govlocs have 3 side gears and have a clutch pack. The open 14bolt diffs have 4 side gears. The detroit requires the 4 side gear case to be installed.

Here's a gov lock diff
    [​IMG]

I welded mine solid
    [​IMG]