Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

difference between 14bsf & 14bff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fixmy59bug, Aug 15, 2006.

1. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

I hope you all can excuse the barrage of questions I will be unloading here in the next 2 weeks or so, but I am coming from a Vw community and have never really been into domestics or off roaders (especially when you combine the 2). So this is new uncharted territory for me. I recently learned that the rearend in my 73 'Burban is a large GM Corporate 14 bolt. But how can I tell if its a 14bff or 14bsf? Also, what do those terms mean? I am assuming 14 bolt full floater and 14 bolt semi floater? Thanks.

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

your correct on the full v. semi. The big difference is 1", a 14sf has a 9.5" ring gear and c-clips, the 14ff has a 10.5" ring gear and hub/spindle. 14bsf-axle shaft supports the weight, 14bff-hub/spindle supports weight, axle shaft only turns the tire.
    easiest way to tell is the hub sticking out through the center of the wheel and if your burb still has the stock rearend then it's a 14BFF as the sf did not appear until later.

3. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

ff looks like this[​IMG]