Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference Between 2 piece and 1 piece rear main Cranks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Nov 10, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Whats the difference between 2 piece and 1 piece rear main seal crankshafts?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

2 piece seals are just that, 2 pieces the top half goes into a groove in the block and the lower half goes into the last bearing cap. A 1 piece seal is just one piece and it goes right into a retainer over the back of the crank. 1 piece is much easier to replace if you ask me.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1 piece might be easier to change if the engine is out of the vehicle, but if it's in the vehicle, 2 piece is MUCH easier.

I am not trashing on 1 piece RMS motors though as my trucks all have them.

The cranks have different patterns to mount flywheels/flexplates in the back. besides that and the rear main seal surface, I don't know of any differences.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Engines with 1 piece rear main seals are also externally balanced on the back end so you will see a counter weight on the flywheel/flexplate.

5. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Let me refraise the question (my bad). I want to know why I cant put a Crankshaft made for a 2-piece rear main on a block designed for a 1-piece rear main. I am trying to find a 383 kit for my Suburbans 90' 350 TBI. The ones I find say for 2-pc rear main seal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

You can install a 2 piece rear main seal crank into a 1 piece rear main seal block but you have to buy a 2 piece rear main oil seal adapter for about $150.00. Scat makes a 3.75" stroker crank for the 1 piece rear main seal block. I bought one about 3 years ago for my stroker build at the time and now I am about to buy another one for my present stroker build-up.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you use that adapter, which flywheel do you end up using? What do you end up with for a rear main seal when it's over?

8. 4X4HIGH

You would use the flexplate/flywheel that fits the 2 piece rear main seal crank along with the old style 2 piece rear seal.
    The bolt circle on the 2 piece rear main seal crank is 3.58" while the 1 piece is 3.00" bolt circle.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

They make 1pc cranks and they are only about $20 more than a 2pc seal crank. Most of the places that sell the "kits" will just sell you the kit and just charge you the difference for a 1pc crank. Just give them a call and ask.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me refraise the question (my bad). I want to know why I cant put a Crankshaft made for a 2-piece rear main on a block designed for a 1-piece rear main.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one piece rear main seal retainer goes on "OVER" the crank. (imagine slipping a rubber band over a paper towel roll) The flange on the crank is turned way down on the 1 piece rear main motors, so the seal and retainer can be bolted down "over" the crank.