Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between a 2500HD and a 3500

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CyberSniper, Oct 13, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, so I'm new truck shopping. They don't seem to sell manual transmission 4.3L V6 half ton 4wd W/Ts for a cheap price anymore, so I might as well buy a truck I like. And cars... while they get good gas mileage they aren't much good for anything but transportation appliances.

So, I'm sitting there playing with GM BuyPower figuring stuff out.

Basically pricing a 2500HD and a 3500 with:
    standard cab long box W/T
    496 and 6 speed manual
    Snow plow prep package
    Trailering package
    Cruise control
    blah blah blah

The only difference between the two when I built them was the price. Roughly $2,000 different. The trailer ratings seemed to be nearly identical.
    model curbweight/gvw
    2500HD 5400/9200
    3500 5700/9900

So... what makes the 3500 worth two grand more?

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

When I was looking at trucks, the only difference I found between the 2500HD and 3500, was that the 3500 is a dually.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

As I understand it, with the new trucks the 2500HD basically took the place of the 3500 SRW. The 3500 is now dually, 2500HD is old 3500 SRW, and 2500 is like the old 2500.
    In 10 years these years will be like the 88-91's. Old bodystyle if you got a crewcab, new if you got a regular, and blazers and burbans were old, R's and V's instead of C's and K's, cant make anything easy lol.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Maybe a heavier frame on the 3500? :dunno: :dunno:

What K20 said makes sense, though.

5. CyberSniper

Well, you can get the 3500 in SRW which is what I was looking at. Since virtually no vehicles are on the dealership lot with a 8.1L and a 6 speed manual I 'd have to order one. I'm 99% sure the only reason why you guys never see SRW 3500s is because every grandman wants a 2500HD with a 6.0L/4L80e or a 6.6/Allison.

Here are the 2500HD and 3500 price specs. They're the same base model and both SRW.

Model /Model Description /List Price /Factory DH(b) /MSRP(c) /Employee Price (c) /DFC
    CK25903 /4 Wheel Drive Fleetside Reg. Cab WT /$26,305.00 /$0.00 /$26,305.00 /$23,354.93 /$875.00
    CK35903 /4 Wheel Drive Fleetside Reg. Cab, WT, SRW /$28,385.00 /$0.00 /$28,385.00 /$25,195.73 /$875.00

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Witch one will have the higher resale value 10 years from now ??

7. CyberSniper

Good question. I plan on keeping it until I either die or wreck it. And if I wreck it I plan on buying it back because a 496/6 speed would be an awesome wheeling setup.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Slightly stiffer springs!!!!

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, frame and different suspension. There were a couple other differences my techer told me, but I dont remember them right now, they wernt anything big though.

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

dude, get a diesel, that 496 gets Horrible mileage, if you do a lot of driving the diesel will more than make up for itself in better fuel mileage.

As far as the difference between the two, its frame, tires and different rear spring pack. Just add airbags to the back of the 2500HD and enjoy the price savings.

11. CyberSniper

The 496 probably gets horrible gas mileage with an automatic. I can picture that. Everyone I know that has a 6.0L auto never gets better than 13mpg. Most are around 11mpg. Not enough motor to move a 6,000lb truck. I'm willing to bet a 496 with a manual transmission will get decent gas mileage. If you look at the numbers coming out of the motor it actually makes less power than the new this year 6.0L but makes the torque much sooner.

I suspect if I drive it kindly I can get 12mpg out of it around town and 16mpg out of it on the highway as long as I get a 6 speed and 3.73 gears. Pretty much the same thing I get out of my 305/auto now. This is roughly 2.5mpg less than a LLY and 3mpg less than a LB7. I can manage to get 11mpg around town and 16-17 on the highway with my pickup I have right now. Carbureted and shaped like a brick... with one of the first 700R4s ever made. I have a difficult time believing a bigblock with a manual, fuel injection, aerodynamics, and only weigh 400lbs more is going to do worse.

If I did my math right, it'll take no less than 4 years to get my money back out of the $6,000 option Duramax/Allison. This is assuming that diesel goes back to being $.25/gallon less than gasoline rather than $.25/gallon more like it is right now.

Compound this by the fact that 90% of my driving is short distances (less than 10 minutes drive time) a diesel doesn't make sense. What does make sense is an econobox car but I can't haul a trailer with an econobox car.

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I just upgraded from a 6.0 gas truck to a duramax. My duramax doesnt have enough miles on it yet to tell for certain what mileage im getting, but so far its doing better than my 6.0. But I know quite a few people with that 8.1 with both allisons and 4L80's and they all get about 10 max, with most people getting 8 or 9.

If gas prices stay the same I will save enough money in fuel prices to make sense in purchasing the diesel truck. I averaged about 11 all around with the 6.0, and im geussing i can probably get about 15 out of my LLY which will save me about $90 a month which is what the increase in my truck payment was to get the diesel truck.

So im just saying, most people I've seen want to get from the 8.1 to save on gas prices since they do so bad on gas. But there is no doubt that they pull hard and make very good power, but they are thirsty.

13. CyberSniper

I'm not interested in an Allison or a 4L80e in anything I buy (unless it's used), it'd have to be several grand cheaper for me to even contemplate it. I know a bunch of people with 6.0L and automatics... they get crappy gas mileage too and don't have near the snot of a 8.1L. I'm thinking a 8.1L with a manual, to which I control the RPM and acceleration, I can get decent mileage out of it. I've been reading reports of it all over the interweb (including LLY and LB7 reports).

I don't think a Duramax would enjoy my short trips or the excess cold we have here. We have 10° mornings all winter and I only live 3 miles from work. I doubt there is a 3mpg difference when the motor is cold/let it warm up/keep it on the block heater all night.

Before I bought a Duramax truck I'd probably buy a new car (say a Malibu) and then a 90s dually with a TD. It'd get me to the same place as the Duramax only a heck of a lot cheaper to own the two vehicles.

14. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I may get flamed for this but,here goes,,

If hauling something is a major factor in your decision,then take a serious look at the Dodge w/CTD with a 6 speed. I love "OLD" Chevy's but I would not even walk on a Chevy lot today. Brand loyalty goes only so far,the crap chevy is turning out today is a far cry from the cars and trucks of old.

IMO, dodge builds a solid truck for the money that get's the job done,and yes I own one,and yes it pulls like a freight train and gets 20 -22 mpg back and forth to work everyday.

Dollar for Dollar it's hard to beat the Dodge.

Flame away.

15. CyberSniper

I have a 20' car hauler. My parents live 505 miles away. Most of my major "work" is done at my parents' since they have several garages to work in. I have no garage. All my engine-related work is done there because the "best" machineshop within 100 miles of here is still a JOKE. Usually when I go to my parents' place I have enough to fill up a 6' box on a truck. Not going to fit a couple transmissions, a transfer case, and several boxes of "stuff" in the back of a Cavalier or Malibu. Towing the car hauler would be much more friendly with a newer truck rather than my 84K10. Even though with that I get 10mpg on the expressway hauling Fugly.

I can get the same 2500HD listed previously with a LB7 Diesel and a 6 speed for $29,097. I can get GM Employee pricing using my Dad or I can get GM Supplier pricing through work. Whether I use Employee pricing or Supplier pricing it costs me about the same (Employee pricing is cheaper but I can use my GM card earnings with the Supplier discount). I can't get ANYWHERE near that for a Dodge. And the new Dodges look like plastic pieces of **** and their interior on their upper levels is worse than the W/T Chevy. The only thing that sells Dodge trucks is the Cummins. It's like buying Jewelry. You get a $10,000 gem wrapped in a $.25 box. I mean hell, Dodge decided to make their own manual transmission and they all got recalled which proves they still can't make anything of their own right. So, I won't touch a Dodge. I'd end up paying $35,000 (guessing, can't get their site to work) for a gem wrapped in a $.25 box with a transmission destined to fail.

A diesel isn't going to get me much, if any, better mileage than a gasser back and forth to work. I only work 3 miles from home. It takes me longer to walk to my office from the parking lot than it does to drive to work. We're talking a 7 minute drive if I go the speed limit (25-30mph the whole way). So, to get my money back out it'd be the long trips I take. So that'd take a while. As far as longevity goes I think I can safely say that a diesel getting such short cycles isn't going to last much longer than a gasser.

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Its not their own trans, it is a Getrag. And the reason they were "recalled" is that a batch of them got shipped out a quart low of gear lube. They caught the problem before the trucks that were low hit the dealer lots, and they stopped shipment until they could track down all the trucks that went out low on gear lube and take care of the problem.

17. CyberSniper

As far as I know, the G56 is not getrag. It's a transmission Mercedes makes.

I have a difficult time believing the only reason they wouldn't let them off the dealership lot is that they were a quart low on oil. That could've been something the dealerships did as part of their preparation after they roll off the car carrier. I think the quart low was just a bandaid fix for a broken leg and a coverup of a ****ty transmission. The only reason they got rid of the 5600 is that they didn't want to pay for it... and Dodge has never made a good transmission since the 727.

18. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Oh and like we're supposed to forget that chevy built that turd of a transmission called the 700R4 and the 460LE. :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

Guess they had to go to ALLISON to get a real transmission. :bow: :bow:

Get real,,Mercedes or Getrag,,Chevy or Allison,,,they all have had their problems,,hell, even the 5600 you spoke of has had it's faults,,something about a lock nut backing off on the output shaft comes to mind,,

quart low on lube huh ? maybe that's why my trans is noisy in low gear,,
    well who cares,,,it only has a "7 year-100,000 mile warrenty" on it,,, :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

19. CyberSniper

As far as I know the 5600 wasn't the one that had the nut go AWOL... I believe it was the 4500... but I could be wrong.

The 700R4 is a good transmission that doesn't like towing in overdrive. Now that it's completely electronic you don't hear of the failures they used to have. One bad transmission is much better than only one good transmission. Dodge is so good at marginality, they put NV231s in full size pickups.

20. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Before you buy a new GM this year do a like search for GMT 900. This is the next gen full size trucks from GM. The new Full size pickups will be out in 2007. Rumor has it they MAY have a SFA on the 3/4 and 1 tons. The Duramax is also getting a major upgrade in power and torque.