Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

difference between a 6.2 and a ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Jun 5, 2002.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Is there any overall difference in the length of a 6.2 diesel and a 400 small block? Reason I ask is because I have a 84 m1009 that was stripped and I put a 400 small block in it. Now I am putting a 400/208 in it which is what the truck origionally had. I am wondering if my holes for the trans/tcase cross member mounts are gonna line up or am I gonna have to drill new ones? I really dont want to drill new ones becuase I have already drilled a extra set there when I had the th350/203 in it.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm going to say any length difference is forward of the motor mounts, hence BB/Diesel fan shrouds being different. Easier on GM as well, same length driveshafts no matter the engine combo. Not positive, but thats how I'd approach it. Besides, distributor won't clear if the motor came back more than about 1" or so.

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Should be the same, as long as you have the right cross member, adapter, and mounts.

The reason the BBs and Diesels have different shrouds is that the diesels have a wider radiator that is offset to the driver's side.

Pete

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

My striped 6.5L block is 23"Lx19W. hope this helps.
    rugger

5. dyeager535

Wasn't aware they weren't interchangeable, (is the diesel one the same "thickness" as an SBC shroud or is it think like the BBC?) but I have seen some of those diesel radiators that went from one battery tray to the other. Thats a LOT of coolant! : )

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I thought the BB and SB radiators were the same width; mine (diesel) has the same space between the radiator and the pass side batt. as a gas rad, but the driver's side is w/in an inch or 2 of the batt. Not sure about the depth of the shrouds.

Pete

7. dyeager535

Same width, maybe "depth" makes more sense. The big block fan shrouds are like 4 inches thick or something right? Whereas the 350 shroud is lage enough to set tools and parts on : )

BB and Diesel radiators could be different widths. (fender to fender) Haven't researched it a ton, but with 3 different brackets (at least) for different radiators in the trucks (no wait, 4 counting the extra wide radiator ones) you can imagine there were various widths, heights, and thicknesses.

Check your core support up top, I bet you'll see holes for brackets for an even larger radiator on the passenger side.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I did exactly what your talking about, everything lines up just fine. Tranny mounts, bell housing, motor mounts, all the hard points. Diesel mounts are even the same as the SBC/BBC mounts. Only diff, as others have stated, is the radiator. Diesel radiator is the wide, short format. I finally gave up finding a factory shroud that would work with the SBC. The lower (passenger side) hose is the same and fit my SBC. The upper (driver's side) hose had to be lengthened with a piece of 2" pipe.

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Been a while since I've looked at a BB shroud. IIRC, my core support has three sets of holes, one on the pass side, and two on the driver's side; mine uses the "wider" one.

Pete

10. dyeager535

Its 1:40am, do you know where your radiator mounting holes are? Ok, I just had to go out and look : ) The core support I've got only has two sets of threaded holes that I can see. If I pulled the mounts, I *might* be able to claim there are three sets total, but still only two sets threaded. Ones for the "standard" radiator I've got, and one for the "short" style.

The parts manual (1985/86)shows 3 different types of radiator mounting plates, (one piece, two piece "tall" radiator, and 2 piece "short" radiator)and 5 shrouds...292, 454 and 6.2 (all one piece) and then the two piecer for 305/350 trucks, of which the bottom half is all the same, and the upper must be different depending on the upper brackets/radiator height. 4.3 uses a 2 piece shroud, all the same though, just upper and lower halves.

Looking at the 3 upper radiator mounting methods, I'm going to surmise that the "one piece" upper bracket (like the pre '81 trucks had) is to force more air through the radiator, as there are also seperate side blockoff plates to force air through the radiator, only for one RPO. (assume its some sort of heavy duty or heavy duty cooling option)