Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between Interco tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hey guys! After a long adventure re-installing my POS Win 98, I'm finally back online.

I was looking to Interco's tires. I'd like to get a set of their tires. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://toyboxoffroad.com/tires/interco/interco.htm>http://toyboxoffroad.com/tires/interco/interco.htm</A>.

I'm considering the Super Swamper TSL Radial (cheap) and the Super Swamper SSR (more expensive), since these seem to be the best option for some onroad use.

Can somebody explain what is the difference between them and why is one more expensive than the other? Maybe their cons and pros in offroad/onroad?

Thanks a lot.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

that page says that the SSR's have a tighter tread pattern,siping,etc....this means a quieter ride and longer lasting tread.Basically it's a more street friendly tire and that they've figured out how to get better street performance from an off-road tire.I can't speak for the SSR' s but my old TSL radials rode a lot smoother than my present SX's,and I'm sure that with the new advances they've made with the SSR's,they're PROBABLY(not sure though) a better tire to have if you spend most of your time on the street.

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    CO,USA
    <font color=red><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com</A></font color=red>[​IMG]

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Blazer79
    I've emailed quite a few people now who run the SSR's to get their opinions and all the feedback has been positive. One other item regarding the SSR's that I've heard going around is that the SSR's are made of a softer rubber compound than the regular Swamper Radials. Well according to one guy who said he called Interco himself, they use the same compound for all their tires! I will be calling them myself soon to try to verify this and will report back ot the board. I think I am going to go with the 37x12.5R15 Swamper SSR when I buy my tires. The 15" SSR's are only a few dollars more than the regular Radials and since I have found a 15" wheel to fit the Dana 60, life is GOOD!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian, what wheel are you going with and what backspacing? We've got quite a bit of snow here. I'm in the snow belt near Georgian Bay, lots of snow squalls.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Joe!

I think I'll be going with 15 x 8 wheels from either Stockton; the Rock Crawlers from 4Wheel Parts or maybe Eaton or Bart wheels. ( I like the way the 12.5's look on 8" rims better than on 10" wide rims) Right now I'm leaning toward the Rocker Crawlers from 4Wheel Parts with the 3" backspacing.
    Like Pete said in the other post, I want to have a small enough backspacing to clear the calipers but not so little as to make the wheels stick off too far making steering freaky!

Only problem now is that I don't know if I will stay with 37's as a max. size tire or if I will want to run a 38 later. But I figure the wheels are cheap enough that if I want to go to 38's or larger later, I'll get the 15 x 10's then.

Hope this wasn't too confusing!

Brian
    89KBlazer

6. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

What are the prices and shipping from these places? I guess from the States. Will the shipping be a killer? My 12.5 are on the 8" Rally rims and they look good. The sidewalls give more protection for the rim edge. Depending on the 38 width you may still be able to use the 8's at least your truck height will be fine since the 37's and 38's aren't that far off.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

7. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

i have the tsl swampers38x12.5-15, i had them on the 8" rally wheels and they worked and looked good. but i just changed the wills to the chrome rock crawler star that are 15x10 with a 3" back space and they make the tire look bigger and it pulls good too. the only diffenenca between what the wheels did is with the rallywheels i could go mud riding and my truck would stay pretty clean, but with the new wheels, they stick out about 2 inches further than the old ones, it throws mud everywhere

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The rock crawlers from 4wheel parts are only available in 4" backspacing. I just bought 4 yesterday and the total for 4 wheels at 49.95 was $246 with shipping and handling from Atlanta to Pensacola, FL.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

9. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I am running the 35x14.50.x15 SSR's on 15x8 factory rally wheels and they work very well on road and off. They are by far the best tires I have used offroad. The wheels are the correct offset, so I have retained my turning radius. I use BFG muds 35x12.50x15 on 15x10 wheels sometimes on the street and they stick out about the same as the other tire and wheels using a 3.5in offset.

GOT ROCKS?