Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between K20 and K30 465/205 crossmembers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, May 2, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

Is there a difference between a K20 and a K30 SM465 / NP205 combo crossmember? I've got a K30 one on my K20, and I've got t-case to cab clearance issues (was a 2wd low hump cab BTW)

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it's the 2x4 cab that's the issue I've swapped cabs you need to either use a 4x4 floor or ru a 2inch body lift

3. Russell

Would I be endangering anything if I dropped the crossmember 2" instead of lifting the cab 2"?

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

K-30 cross members are flat due to the deeper frame rail center section on the one-ton frames. If you are using a K-30 x-member on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton frame than you will be making the transfercase mount way out of wack by shoving it upward.

Tom

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you might be dropping it to far Do you have your stock k20 crossmember to compare???

6. Russell

Unfortunately no, and I don't know where I can find a K10 or K20 to take a look...

I found that if I drop the t-case about 1", the rear u-joint angle looks alright, and I have about an inch clearance for both my exhaust and my cab. I'll probably build myself a 1" aluminum spacer for each side, and some 8th grade software, and call it good.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

At one time I thought I had seen it stated that there was no difference in the 1 ton vs. 1/2-3/4 ton crossmembers, but that the 1 ton was bolted inside the framerails and the 1/2-3/4's were underneath, and that was how the frame difference was accounted for.

Is that incorrect?

I know the early 80's x-member was flat, 1/2 ton etc., but the later stuff (approx. '85-up?) isn't, which changed with the "short" adapters.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

On the 1984 on down X-members they are definetely different on the K-30's but I can't remember what they did on the 1985 and newer ones . The frame is still deeper on the 30 series trucks - maybe GM did some cool engineering and made it possible to use the same X-member and just chjange the mounting point on the 1985 on up stuff ?

Tom

9. dyeager535

Well, I *think* the change across the board for x-members was in '85. I only know the 465/205, that adapter changed when they went 32 spline on both, so the crossmember is "taller". (those are the single or doublehump crossmembers as I call them)

My original crossmember was out of an early 80's truck (still '81+) and it was flat. People that have '84 trucks can state whether the crossmembers were still flat then.

I don't know the frame height difference one ton vs 1/2, but since GM did things like changing the adapter length to lessen the varieties of driveshafts, it would make sense to do similar with the frames if possible.

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yeah , the flat X-member was last used in 1984 when the change in adapters was made for 85 . The only parts of this I know for sure is that the 1984 on down 30 series X-members are different than the 1/2 & 3/4 ton frames and the frames on the 30 series trucks was the same depth before and after 1985. I dunno what they did between X-memebers after that - the short adapter X-memebers are still a mystery to me ......

Tom

11. dyeager535

So the crossmembers for one tons (at least pre-85) would be "shallower" than those for the 1/2 tons, right?

Anyone got pics of these 1 ton crossmembers? I'm curious to see how exactly GM did it. Just interested in these things. :)

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have both styles of X-members but I am useless as hell on the computer and do not know how to post up pic's - sorry ......

The flat style K-30 x-memebers are flatter than the other ones - they do not flare upwards at the frame attacthment points like the 1/2 ton ones do . The adapter mount is in the same place/position but the X-member is flatter to meet the deeper K-30 frames where as the 1/2 ton stuff has a shorter frame center section and the x-memeber needs to be flared up at the ends to meet the frame rail.

I hope I have not confused the stew out of Ya" ......
    Pic's would be best to easily see the differences.

Tom

13. dyeager535

I understand what you are saying...it makes sense, to keep the drivetrain in the same relationship with the body, moving the x-member up (by flattening it) would work fine.

Not a whole lot of one tons I've parted out, although my friend DOES have an '83 C30, which would have the crossmember you describe I guess!

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

YOU GOT IT ! Right on the money ......

Tom

15. Russell

Well, sounds like I need a half ton crossmember. Mine is totally flat, and makes the t-case / tranny sit up a bit tall compared to where a normal SM465 / 205 should...

16. dyeager535

Can you shoot a picture of it? There are plenty of photos of the 1/2 ton one floating around, I think one of my t-case shots shows it pretty clearly.

From my experience the crossmembers changed in the 70's sometime, as my friend offered one to me from a '75 or so, and it wouldn't fit on my '81 frame...the width was different.

I don't recall the "height" of it though, if different.

17. Russell

Sure, I'll snag a picture tonight

18. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha:

19. Russell

Quiet you! Old stacked AOL CDs make excellent crossmember drop spacers!!

20. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

hey, i can appreciate someone making something useful out of something seemingly so useless as AOL! :D