Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between loosen back brake drum vs. removing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Dec 8, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    As I posted earlier, I reaplacing my back brake cylinders. I'm at the guts of the back brakes with all the springs etc....My question is, do I loosen all the springs to loosen up the brake drum to get the orginal cylinder out, or is there more to it than that..The Hayes manual says that you have to take all the components off/apart before the cylinder comes out, but it was suggested to me in an earlier post (can't remember who), that I could just loosen things up...(Hayes also suggests that a special tool is strongly urged to be used, and I'm wondering if this is really a necessary purchase). Anyway, any help would be great
    Rock On
    MarcD

2. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

All you have to is remove the horizontal springs the ones that go this way ------------ Then loosen up the wc from the the back, and pull the shoes apart and pull the wc out, installation in reverse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah remove springs that hold either shoes together or shoes to anchor pin from middle of shoes to top of shoes and then youre good to go ahead and replace wc's

good luck

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I STRONGLY recommend loosening one side and just taking the drum off the other. That way when you have a pile of springs, pins, and brackets at your feet you can look at the other side to reassemble. I have done rear drum brakes so many times I could probably do it blindfolded.

Oh and the "special tool" helps but there is nothing there you couldn't havdle with a screwdriver, needlenose pliers, and a pair of vicegrips.