Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between military and civilian

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 27, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Whats the difference between the self defense and fighting skills (non fire arm related) people learn in the military (e.g. special forces) and classes someone can get like "self defense" from a local organization?
    I was watching Walking Tall with the Rock in it, and he had a special forces tag (forget what the correct term is) and also, when he was in court someone said he used skills only from the army... (lol something like that, I suck at copying a phrase)
    Anyways, whats the difference? :confused:

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I don't know about now, but when I was in, we were taught the quickest way to kill/maim someone-that is not the same thing as self defense, which is preventing someone from hurting you.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is that the only difference? forogot about the killing part....

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you get what you pay for... a civilian class is going to teach you technique for mult situations.. the mil just wants you to kill. you get a few diff ways to do it but tis all about killing. the classes are not very quality oriented. meaning they have a bunch of students who dont want to be there so its a fast paced you will pass anyway type of teaching. that is until you get to spec ops or something fo that sort. thats a bit different. then quality comes in here and there, but is still killing.
    Grant

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know more than a few civilian people who could be considered walking deadly weapons. Those aren't the "I took 2 years of karate types". More like they are 21 and have been practicing different forms of martial arts for as long as they can remember.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i was marine infantry, we hardly ever did hand to hand, and when we did it was basic stuff. Basically, they taught us how to shoot really really well. If you have bullets, you shoot the other guy... if you don't have any bullets you retreat to get more or (last resort) bayo/fight the other guy doing whatever dirty tricks you can think up in the heat of the moment (crotch shots, ramming fingers into the eyes, chops to the throat, biting, hair pulling and anything else). If the enemy has bullets, he just shoots you. Basically, for large unit actions it'd be sort of weird for both you and the bad guys to simultaneously run out of ammo and decided to duke it out John Woo style. Spec ops guys are different.. its highly likely that they could be cut off from heavy reinforcement and need to go hand to hand in desperation. Traditionally, spec ops guys also have a habit of getting a lot closer to the enemy... which makes hand to hand more likely.

in any case, in the 90s when I was in... we got hardly any real hand to hand training... it was all bullet-to-chest/head stuff.

j

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks guys. I get it now.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

As was said, when the military teaches recruits hand to hand combat, the focus is on getting the job done quickly (killing), with economy of motion and the fewest moves possible. Many civillian schools focus on the "art" aspect of a martial art,( katas, or Tai Chi, for example,) or they prepare you for tournament fighting.

Of course you can find civillian schools that teach combat based fighting, but the key is that the armed forces want to build a killing machine in the quickest amount of time, while MA schools need monthly income to keep the lights on. there's the biggest difference. The more time and money you have, the more moves you learn.

In the military, it's not uncommon for people with martial arts backgrounds to hook up and teach each other what they know. One of my Kali instructors did that while he was in Bosnia... ended up with about 5 people he trained with, and he learned some Kenpo, which he hadn't been exposed to previously.

Tom

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks Tom. That clears it all up.