Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between R, V, C, and K series

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Jul 16, 2004.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Just curious, but what is the significance of the R and V series? I know C is 2wd and K is 4wd, but what the heck are R and V for? I work with two other mechanics who collectively have been working with cars for prolly close to 50 years, and they had no idea...
    Thanks,
    Nate

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

C = 2wd prior to 87 old body , post 87 new body
    k = 4wd prior to 87 old body , post 87 new body
    r = 2wd post 87 old body
    v = 4wd post 87 old body
    There ya go people , fixed it for ya . My real knowledge base is the a/g bodies I was into before I bought my Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Actually '87, my '87 stepside is a R10 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Close:

C- two wheel drive
    K- four wheel drive
    R- two wheel drive 87-91 square body
    V- four wheel drive 87-91 square body

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

R and V have been covered well.

C trucks are 2WD and K are 4WD. However, there are '88-91 C/K trucks as well.

In '73-87, C/K was used for everything: pickups, crewcabs (*), Burbs, Blazers, cab&chassis.

for '88-91, C/K trucks are the new body-style single-cab pickups only; all other body styles are R/V.

I don't pay attention to '92+.

(Someone will jump in here and say that they're really "CK" trucks for 4WD and "CC" for 2WD as that's how the Chevy part numbers work, but that's excessive detail.)

(*) When I say "crew cab" I mean "Crew and Bonus Cabs", for those nitpickers who know the difference.

So, summary: You can have, for example, a 1989 V1500 Blazer which does not use the same e.g. tow hitch as a 1989 K1500 pickup. If you have a 1973-87 truck of any kind, you don't need to worry about it, but if you have 1988-1991 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif (or a cab&chassis which we don't have icons for /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif), you need to be careful when you ask for parts, that you specify that it's not a /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif.

Make sense? This is also on my web page about the History of the 'Blazer' name

(that's a bookmark to the "alphabet soup" section /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

-- A

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Crew and Bonus Cabs

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of hijacking, what exactly is the difference between the two? Is a bonus cab just a crew cab without a back seat? I think that's what I've heard but I'm not too sure.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Crew and Bonus Cabs

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of hijacking, what exactly is the difference between the two? Is a bonus cab just a crew cab without a back seat? I think that's what I've heard but I'm not too sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I call them "crew cab" (lower case), or informally, "six pack" (the "3+3" badge) ... but Chevy called them Bonus Cab (only front seat) and Crew Cab (both seats -- note upper case.)

HTH.

-- A

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I usually only see bonus cabs used by conversion companies who installed there own seats anyway.

9. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Do you guys know what the P and G series are? I just heard of them the other day for the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

p series equals a passenger van, g series equals a commercial van, i do believe.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The "G" vans are the regular passenger style vans, the "P" series are the ones used by companies like Fed-Ex or UPS,some people call them "bread trucks"or "Potato Chip Trucks"and "Step Vans"--they are the platform for many RV's also. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif