Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between shorty and hugger header

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Mar 17, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Like it says, what's the difference if any? I've looked at some pics on flowtech's website and ebay, and can see that there's a major difference between long tubes and both huggers and shorties, just don't see too big a difference between the two.

And yes, I did a search and found a lot of info on headers, seems the consensus is shorties. I'm just want to know if they're the same as huggers before I bid.

Just to clarify, looking for good ground clearance and frame/xmember clearance, '72 K5 on 33's (soon 35's probably) with 4" lift, 350/350/205.

2. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

these are block huggers, shorties dump like a regulat header just shorter

[​IMG]

Right?

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I got it, huggers dump straight down, shorties straight back, just shorter than long tubes.

Any noticable difference in performance, or is it just an issue of what clearance you need for your application?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Asking for real world or tested performance differences? Long tubes work better than short. Short seems to work a bit better up top, but you lose a "lot" (comparatively) to long tubes everywhere but up top. That's testing.

I think car craft has a comparo article on their site regarding this exact question.