Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between SS diesel & Kennedy Diesel glow plugs

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Their glow plugs look virtually the same- even the pictures look similiar. Is one better than the other?

www.ssdieselsupply.com

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SSdiesel and Kennedy are parts distributors, not manufacturers, so in all likelihood the glowplugs are exactly the same and only have different advertised names.

IIRC, quick heats are made by Lucas.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Lucas? The same Lucas of vintage British non-functioning automotive electrical systems??
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Lucas? The same Lucas of vintage British non-functioning automotive electrical systems??
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt it. They claim they're made in the USA. Here is the link:

instant heat GP's

I will prolly pick a set of these up. My 60G's aren't all working no more and it's becoming a pain to start. I think I only have 4 or 5 working (need to check for sure though)

Rene

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ahh cool, thanks!

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt it. They claim they're made in the USA. Here is the link:

instant heat GP's

I will prolly pick a set of these up. My 60G's aren't all working no more and it's becoming a pain to start. I think I only have 4 or 5 working (need to check for sure though)

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
    I thought that the 60Gs are indestructible?
    I am planning on putting a set in my sub in a couple of weeks, should I reconsider?
    With the turbo, it's no fun getting those in so I want to put something that will last.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, I'm just going by the way it's been starting the last month or so. 40-45 F it takes 13-15 seconds of glow time and is not flashing up like it used to (10 seconds used to be plenty even when colder)...then when it starts it's not running on all 8 for the first 10 seconds or so. Can't really tell how many it is running on...feels like 5 or 6 though. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

As soon as I have time I'll pull them and see how many are working and how many aren't. Right now I haven't been driving it and am in the middle of remodelling the kitchen...pretty much backburnered.

I'll update when I know something for sure.

Rene

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I would get the quick heats, I just bought a set and installed them the other day. It was getting harder to start (starter is getting beat and I figured it was time for some glowplugs) so I ordered a new 28 MT starter and the quickheats. I will say that it doesnt start any quicker (most likely due to slow cranking speed which will be fixed when my starter comes in), but once it does start it hardly smokes at all now and I dont need to leave them on as long to get a quality start. That and IIRC they are cheaper for a set than the 60g's.

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

When the new motor went in my '00 I installed Bosch glow plugs. They were about $9.30 ea and looked like the quick heats, have the smaller tip on the end. I would have ordered some from JK but time was an issue and these were locally available, so were the Bosch injectors.