Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between TBI 454 and carb'd 454?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 14, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Difference between TBI 454 and carb\'d 454?

I went to a locl engine builder today and started to talk to him about swapping to a 454...Well I am GOING to do it...There is no question about that...But I would like to keep TBI...I already know that i will need a 454 throtle body and a custom chip what what else...He said it would be a PIA to adapt a carb'd 454 to TBI...Said something about the knock sensor module being different between the 2 different 454's... I am going to start looking for blown 454 around...should I look for a TBI or can I make a carb version work w/ realative ease?

Thaks gang...

Chris

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Difference between TBI 454 and carb\'d 454?

I'm planning to just use the 350 knock sensor on mine. It screws right into one of the block drain holes on the side of the block. You need to be more careful about cam selection, so that you don't freak out the MAP sensor, but the rest of the engine is the same. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Since you want to rebuild the engine anyway, you can put the right stuff in it. There's a yard here in Colorado Springs that will sell a complete TBI 454 takeout for $1,500. I think most of 'em are pretty high mileage, thus the low price.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

there are also plenty of stand alone fuel injection systems that are a little more adjustable. I have a holley projection on my 454.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Hey Harry, what is the name of the yard in the springs? I might be interested in going down one weekend and taking all the crap home w/ me...

Chris

5. HarryH3

Harris Used Truck Parts
    325 E Las Vegas
    (719) 636-3831

Let me know if you're gonna be down this way!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought there were "issues" using a knock sensor from a different CID motor? Maybe I'm mistaken, but my TPI setup uses a different ESC control than a 305 (vs my 350) which I assumed was partly due to the CID...I believe it was explained that the "harmonics" of the different motors is tuned into the knock sensor.

Not trying to pirate the post, you can PM me if you want to : )

7. HarryH3

I don't know yet. If mine acts up after the swap then I'll worry about it. In any case, all the knock sensors and ESC modules use the same pinout and connector, so it would be pretty easy to make the change. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif