Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

difference between torker and torker 2?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Big'nBadK5, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

I'm looking at new intakes for the 455. i'm going to put a 750 double pumper carb on it and was looking to put a torker 2 intake on it and wondered what the regular torker was. any ideas?

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Not much differences in the torker manifolds, but I would recomend the Performer RPM. It will give you great bottom and mid range as well as power to 6500 rpms. Thats what I run on my firebird.
    Dan

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mind throwing me the specs of your motor? I am going to run a Torker II on my 400 but I'm going to run ported heads be shifting at 6500 RPMs. If I were building a slightly lower horse more driving motor I would run a dual plane Performer RPM. I said screw it to the driving motor though. I can fight the pig around town it will be worth it at the drop of the clutch and the look on the 5.0 driver's eyes. I wouldn't recommend the Torker intake its more for slightly higher RPMs than I am even gonna run. And I would recommend you consider bumping up to an 800 Double pumper, Desert is insistent that Ponti motors need air and I will believe him. I'm going to run a 800 double pumper on top of my 400.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do they even make a torker for the pontiac motors? I think they may have at one time but not anymore. The idea of whether you want to run the single or dual plane in my mind boils down to cam selection, heads, and driving purpose. My car is intended to be a rice, 5.0, and general street roaster. I'm running a drag cam and looking into getting my heads ported out for better top end flow. If I wanted a show car that came off the line like a bat out of hell and surprised a lot of people I would run the dual plane. My motor won't be an extremely streetable setup, probably idle like a nasty rodent.

5. DesertDueler

Just an FYI there is a company out there that built a motor that runs on 87 octane uses the Performer RPM, doesnt rev about 5500 rpms and makes 612 hp abd 621 ft lbs of tq. Here is the article http://www.pontiacpower.com/CarCraft03.htm

Dan

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

definetly would run a performer rpm over a torker and if you have to run a single plane get the victor jr.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

10.6:1 compression and 87 octane? One local pontiac shop claims 9.5:1 with 94 octane on pontiac motor. I knew that number seemed odd. Desert any idea what the max compression to run on 93 or 94 octane is? I wouldn't mind buying a barrel and mixing either. I'm looking to produce maximum peak horsepower. If I lose a little bit of torque and hp on the bottom its not so bad if the gains on top are worth it. I would prefer to stay down at about 5500 rpms with max power and my goal is over 500HP. Any suggestions?

8. DesertDueler

Well since it has aluminum heads it can have higher compression. They claim you can run up to 11.5 with 92 octane. 10.5 will be fine with 93 or 94 as long as you run aluminum heads. You cant go over 9.5 if you use iron heads.

Dan

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

gotcha, not puting out cash for aluminums so sticking to my original 10:1 or 10.5:1

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

IIRC, Torker has straight runners, and Torker II has curved runners. Both are single-plane. I've found several used ones from marine applications

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I used to use the original torker, when I could find them. There were many test run on the new intakes and the had a better all around performance, but the original torker made more torque above 2,000 rpm. The T-2 was a compromise and the curved runners made more lower rpm torque. If you are really looking for max performance, I would try and find a T-1.