Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference between Vortec & other heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the difference between a Vortec head and another OEM head. I have a '91 with a 350. I've been away from my beloved Chevy too long and I'm trying to catch up. My Bronco is still up for sale... Thanks,
    Alex

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

There's other differences, but I think the biggest one is the size & shape of the combustion chamber. The Vortec is a much more efficient shape & size, so the fuel/air mix burns better and creates more power, compared to a "standard OEM" small-block head. If that's wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me...

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Dont forget the Vortecs use a different intake bolt pattern (8 vs 12)
    The intake and exhaust ports are very similar to the 350 LT1 corvette heads. They have 1.94" intakes and 1.50" exhaust valves. With the same valves they can flow more than even a "Bow Tie" head

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

yeah, the combustion chambe shape is a big difference, there is also the difference in size of the intake ports(they are taller on vortec heads.) There is also the intake manafold bolt pattern on the heads. Instead of 12 angled bolts there are only 8 verticle bolts(much easier to tighten.) There is also the ceterbolt valve cover hold downs instead of on the perimiter.

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>