Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference in 1st & 2nd gen sterring boxes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Sep 8, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

whats the difference? shaft size? bolt pattern?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

steering box should be the same up to 1980 I believe, those all used a flare type fitting then 1981 and on GM went to the O-ring style fitting on the hoses.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    steering box should be the same up to 1980 I believe, those all used a flare type fitting then 1981 and on GM went to the O-ring style fitting on the hoses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, had to figure that out that exact thing when I won a setup from WTO and was buying a 2wd box from muddytazz to send them....

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

what about the input shaft?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've changed several leaky power steering boxes on GM 4x4's--in my experience the boxes from 69-72 fit the later models,with the hose changes noted already in the previous posts--the steering colum end of the box comes in at least two different spline diameters /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif(I've only seen 2,maybe more?)--this means another trip to the boneyard to get the "rag joint" and steering shaft extention.This usually is discovered on sunday,when the truck is all apart,and the boneyard is closed! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif(nothing like calling a co-worker for a ride and he says"oh been fixing your truck again,aaayyy") /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

any chance of interchanging the input shafts on first gen boxes with that of a second gen van?