Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

difference in a cummins 6bt and 4bt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Nov 21, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

just like the title says whats the difference? thanks

69k5

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Number of cylinders.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks. i thought thats what it must be when i read about putting a 4bt in a jeep.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 4BT is a 6BT just with two cylinders lopped off to make it a 4 banger 3.9 liter.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

4bt is to small for a k5 im guessing. what has a 4bt anyway. admittedly I dont know much about diesels. i never even fooled around with em until about 4 months ago when i bought mine. but i dont remember ever seeing any truck with less than 6 cyl cummins. tractors? cars?

thanks
    69k5

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

the frito lay box vans had 'em backed my a th400 i believe. they can handle a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif.

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

a lot of box vans used the 4bt, it would be well suited for a fullsize truck IMO. they use the same parts as the 6bt, so they can be hopped up if you deem it necessary. They weigh in the neighborhood of 750 lbs or so, which is more appealing than the 1100-1200 of a 6bt.

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they use the same parts as the 6bt, so they can be hopped up if you deem it necessary.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
    They weigh in the neighborhood of 750 lbs or so, which is more appealing than the 1100-1200 of a 6bt.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    4bt is to small for a k5 im guessing. what has a 4bt anyway. admittedly I dont know much about diesels. i never even fooled around with em until about 4 months ago when i bought mine. but i dont remember ever seeing any truck with less than 6 cyl cummins. tractors? cars?

thanks
    69k5

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They can be bombed to nearly 500HP and 1000 ft lbs.! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif A 4BT powered K5 would fly completely bombed, faster than any other K5 out there that is small block powered.

As for what has 4 cylinder diesels....I have a 86hp ford tractor with a 4 banger ford diesel. My 580SE Case backhoe has a 4 banger in it and I am curious to find out if it's a 4bt, I know it's a cummins. I will look tommorrow.

I am actually interested in putting our spare 6 cylinder 6.8 litre John Deere engine in our gas powered service truck.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

that would be awesome b/c nothing runs like a deer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the onlky problem i see what about the rev limit and how do you get a tranny for it?

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

So what the dimensions and weight of a 4bt? Also, what kind of power #'s? And does CAT make a similar engine to a 4bt?

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Non intercooled is 105hp/285-300 tq, intercooled is 120hp and 320 tq. Weighs about 750 pounds. I dont recall the exact dimensions off the top of my head.

Its what i plan on swapping into my K5 to replace my 6.2, backed by either a sm465 or nv4500. Mildly built of course /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    that would be awesome b/c nothing runs like a deer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the onlky problem i see what about the rev limit and how do you get a tranny for it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Simple,

1. It turns 2400RPM's ( a stock 12V 6BT only turns 2500) and it can easily be turned up.

2. I think it's a #1 bellhousing which means it should bolt up to a standard Allison auto. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I love John Deere engines and bet they are just as tough or tougher than a 6BT.

14. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

PM Stomper . He has one in his rig. He is still finishing the rig, but he should be able to tell you about any installation hassels.

15. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [.

2. I think it's a #1 bellhousing which means it should bolt up to a standard Allison auto. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 is that must be one of those SAE bellhousings someone on here was talking about?

I plan on an nv4500 and a diesel.. which one probably depends on what i run into in the right price range.

i would definaltey like to see it if you do it.

69k5