Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference in double wall top

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by petev, Nov 30, 2001.

1. petev

petev Registered Member

What's the difference between a single walled top and a double walled top? (yup, another dumb question from Pete) Does it matter, what are the advantages/disadvantages and how do I tell the difference?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by petev on 11/30/01 09:34 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

PeteV,

De Ja Vu!!!! It seems like you are asking all the same questions I did when I joined this list....! [​IMG]

The difference is simple to tell. Double Wall tops bolt to the bedrail from UNDERNEATH......single wall tops bolt to the bedrail from ABOVE. The other give-away with singlewall tops is they have two dome lights on the drivers side, and a power hookup for the lights that is near the "B-Pillar" area.

From what I understand, GM was completely random with the use of the two tops....you will find either top on any year from '69-'72.....so there is no CORRECT top for a given year. That being said, I traded my doublewall top for a singlewall, so that I could disconnect the top more easily without removing the trim panels on the inside of the bedrails.

MOST people will want a singlewall top.....they are HARD to find, especially in good condition. If you are patient, or lucky, (or RICH [​IMG]) you can probably get one of you decide that's what you want.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

i have a single wall top in excellent shape for sale right now. the other main difference between the top is quality of the fiberglass, the single wall top is alot stronger and thicker fiberglass than the double wall tops. email me at kilomanjaro63@hotmail.com if you are interested and want pics. thanks
    kilomanjaro

4. Rhody

Rhody Registered Member

John,
    I am in St. Louis MO and am looking for a single wall top for my 1972 Blaze. How much to take it off your hands? I could make a drive out to Kansas for the right price

Little Rhody

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

If rhody doesnt check out i might be intrested.
    69K5 nathan

6. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status