Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference in Hydroboost pumps???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rolled, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

What is the difference in the pumps for power steering/hydroboost?

I am getting ready to put hydrobooster in my k5 and I need to get the pump.

Now, my 88 1-ton has a regular looking pump where you have to fill it at the pump and the parts trucks I've been getting hydroboost parts from, has the remote reservoir.

Is there an advantage (besides ease of filling) to the remote reservoir over the "other" pump?

Also, are the mounting brackets compatible between the two different pumps?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Go to www.napaonline.com
    They have pics (front back and side) of most all P/S pumps (along with alot of other stuff).

I just got done putting a 86 van pump on my truck. Got tired of having to shut off the truck, climb in the engine compartment, pour oil all over the front of the engine and alt. belt, and somehow manage to spill some in the pump res /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

For my '84, the difference between the p/s pump that was on the 6.2L w/hydroboost and the p/s pump for a standard system is an extra barbed fitting on the reservoir for the return line from the brake booster.

According to a part number search at partsamerica.com and napaonline the p/s pump w/o reservoir has the same part number whether it is hydroboost or standard. That is true using my 84 blazer as the vehicle the search is based on.

The difference is the reservoir, specifically the fitting I mentioned above.

I swapped in serpentine belt setup that included the p/s pump. I just tee'd the return from the brake booster and p/s gear box. I haven't had one bit of problems operating this way.

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

The hydroboost pump has the extra return fitting in the back of the housung. You can use your existing housing and put a T in the return line.

The resovoir is intended for the extra fluid needed for the hydroboost system. Some hydroboost pump housings have a wider neck to accommodate the extra fluid instead of the remote resovior.

The pump inside the housing is the same BUT the pressure is cranked up from 1200 PSI to 1500 PSI for the hydroboost systems. This is what ARG does to all their pumps, thus, they can claim an increase in pressure for their pumps, but really, it is the same as if you picked up a stock pump for a hydroboost system.

The mounting points on the pumps should be the same, it's the brackets that change from small block to big block to diesel, etc.

Just a side note. Not sure if you're looking for more stopping power or bypassing the "dead spots" with the vacuum power booster. The hydroboost will help both. If you're just looking for better stopping, give the Carbon Kevlar front pads from EGR a try. Their about $200 but they really work. I swapped to 1 ton running gear on my 91 Burb, still didn't stop well with the larger D60 calipers and pads, swappwed to EGR pads, what a difference, swapped vac. for hydroboost, can't tell the difference except my anti lock brakes don't work right anymore.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

Of course, if you have all the parts from a donner truck, it isn't gonna cost you anythng!

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help fellas /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif