Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference in Tow Hooks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Mar 15, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I noticed ProComp is selling tow hooks in summit pretty reasonable. What's the difference in these and the chevy factory ones always for sale on here? Strength? load rating is the only difference I can figure but those look pretty stout

2. VirginiaBulldog

VirginiaBulldog Registered Member

are those the 10,000 lb tow hooks from procomp. i just put them on the girls's TJ and they work great. i think they came with grade 5 bolts, might have been grade 8.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I noticed ProComp is selling tow hooks in summit pretty reasonable. What's the difference in these and the chevy factory ones always for sale on here? Strength? load rating is the only difference I can figure but those look pretty stout

[/ QUOTE ]

these are the factory tow hooks for a '81 to '91 Chevy K5.
    [​IMG]

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

yea I saw those in the for sale section, but the procomp look more like the 1 Ton chevy hooks ? just solid and straight.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yea I saw those in the for sale section, but the procomp look more like the 1 Ton chevy hooks ? just solid and straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Depends on the year, '73-'80 use the ones that look like a J hook. That's why I was selling those as the wouldn't work on my '73. But they will line up fine with the holes in a '81-'91 frame.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I like the 73-80 GM hooks the best. Be carefull w/ the aftermarket hooks, they have a smaller opening and are tapered to a point, this can damage a strap.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

lucky sob, your hooks still have the coating on them, mine are just rusted and stuff, but still functional, i like the factory GM ones. if i had to do front hooks on my truck, id go find some factory ones at the junkyard and bolt them on, they are nice and big and hold a strap on good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    lucky sob, your hooks still have the coating on them, mine are just rusted and stuff, but still functional, i like the factory GM ones. if i had to do front hooks on my truck, id go find some factory ones at the junkyard and bolt them on, they are nice and big and hold a strap on good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's something to be said for not using salt on the roads.