Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference in TPI setups?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My buddy is looking for a TPI setup to put on his 350 in his 72 K5. He found one off of a 305 motor that is a complete setup w/ wiring harness for $500 bucks. Is 500 a good deal for a setup, and is the TPI off of a 305 the same as the TPI off of a 350 (performance wise)? How will this effect horsepower vs. a carb?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

tpi is way better over a carb(responce and mileage), only difference between a 305 and 350 is the injectors.
    $500 is good if it INCLUDES EVERYTHING

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Off the very top of my head, he'll need new injectors, knock sensor, and ESC module to make it work even close to right on a 350.

The PROM is also different between 305 and 350 (and also depends on transmission) so it's best to find the right setup right off the bat, piecing a setup together will kill you.

No, I don't think $500 is even close to a deal with the wrong injectors, and even if it had the right injectors, it would be just an "ok" deal. If you look in the classifieds over on thirdgen.org you will probably see sets in various states of completeness for $300+

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Agreed.

$500 is a pretty good price for a 350 setup but not a 305 setup.

Harley

5. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

As far as I know after almost being finished with my second swap, all that is different is : injectors, knock sensor, and the program in the PROM. What year is the setup from? Is it speed density of MAF? If you need more help, try www.thirdgen.org . Just remember to search before you ask a simple question, thy shall be flamed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif . Lots of good info there. Especially PROM burning. Good luch with it. As soon as I recover from my accident I will hopefully be able to finish my motor!!!

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Ok, just to show some of my ignorance for fuel injection.... what the heck is a PROM? Would he be better off just spending the extra $$ to get the Holley Fuel System?

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, just to show some of my ignorance for fuel injection.... what the heck is a PROM? Would he be better off just spending the extra $$ to get the Holley Fuel System?

[/ QUOTE ]

Programmable read only memory. Its the chip.

As to your second question, IMHO id say NO. The TPI works great, and its easy to work on, if you know how. It also looks cooler! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is he running a cam? Under 15" of vaccuum is hard to get it to run right. I have 16" and it wont idle very low. If the vaccuums ok id suggest a MAP system. Look for a setup off a '92.

The differrence will be the injectors, knock sensor, and youll have to get a custom chip anyway, so that doesnt matter.

8. dyeager535

You can run a 350 on a 305 PROM, so thats not a BIG deal. If the engine is modified, it will be a good idea to make or get a custom PROM to get the most out of the setup anyways, so if you have to settle for a 305 PROM with 350 everything else, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just plan on "fixing" it later.

The transmission needs to be correct in the PROM, and the injectors, ESC, and knock sensor are ones that HAVE to be correct for it to run close to correct.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just plan on "fixing" it later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget about the VATS. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif In that case, hell HAVE to get a custom chip.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

$500 for a 305 setup? nah. I picked up my 350 TPI setup for $300. I've seen em going for $250. $50 to convert it to speed density...
    Wiring harness, sensors, fuel rail AN fittings, fuel pump, air filter, prefilter, adjustable fuel psi regulator, injector orings, gasket set.. etc... Its the little things you don't think about to make it complete that add up.
    Id say $300 for a setup, $300 for a wiring harness, and $200 for the other odds and ends and you're doing pretty good if its on your truck and running for $800.

I did a write up on my TPI swap and collected all my part numbers:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1092752&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I'd say tuned port injection was the best $1k i put into my truck. Loving EFI on my DD.. 2-3mpg more in most situations i'd estimate...and at any angle. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

11. dyeager535

Yep. Anything but the earliest MAF setups will have that VATS issue to deal with. Only problem is, IIRC, the 350 manual trans was only available AFTER VATS was in use. Thus why I'm using a 305 PROM right now.